• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

dendro

What flow and lighting does it prefer. I have 2 400 watt mh's in my 90 and i have it in the middle it opens but not all the way and it really hasnt grown at all even with hand feeding krill. I have had it about 3 months and in the same time my duncan which is on the bottom of the tank has grown like crazy. both have good flow.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Dendros are non photosynthetic corals which means they do not need light to grow. You can place them pretty much anywhere in the tank, most people seem to keep them down low because they are non photosynthetic. Flow should be good not too strong. I feed my duncan pretty much every day. How big are the pieces of krill? You might want to look at something smaller like mysis. Make sure its tentacles close down on the food and nothing else steals it away. Dendros grow to a certain size and pretty much stop, you want to see it reproducing to know it is happy. Mine has like three or four babies growing off the sides.

My duncan is growing like crazy maybe like 5-6 head. The Dendro no luck it will eat every day and its all by itself so i know its eating but no growth. I think I will move it lower in the tank and see what happens thats what I did with the Duncan and it went crazy after that

I have both dendro and duncan. I did target feed them at one time but I've switched over to broadcast feeding my tank using elos omega and elos pro skimmer. As far as placement they are not photosynthetic, as previously stated. Try not to blast it directly with water flow. It will force coral to shut down. If target feeding, feed it meaty food no bigger then what the coral can consume. Try to feed it three to four times a week. Good luck with it.

When in doubt water change the system as much as possible using clean RO/DI water with no TDS and use a quality salt that has no nitrates. Make sure u age the new salt water at least a day. Good Luck. The coral will appreciate all the trace elements that come with a water change

yeah besides being non photosynthetic i think they just really dont like light. i have mine about halfway up my rocks in my nano. if he even comes out during the day the feeders dont get over maybe 1/2 inch, as soon as those lights turn off though the dark orange soft tissue up top fills with water and puffs up, and the feelers get about 1 1/2 inches long. he will eat a whole silverside cut into quarters every 3 days. takes him about 5 mins. to finish off each piece

Scottyrock said:
yeah besides being non photosynthetic i think they just really dont like light. i have mine about halfway up my rocks in my nano. if he even comes out during the day the feeders dont get over maybe 1/2 inch, as soon as those lights turn off though the dark orange soft tissue up top fills with water and puffs up, and the feelers get about 1 1/2 inches long. he will eat a whole silverside cut into quarters every 3 days. takes him about 5 mins. to finish off each piece

They eat at night because thats when the pods come out and they trap\catch them easy.

I also keep mine under complete shade. I almost never see it throwing polyps out during the day. I bought it with one head and I now have five.