• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DI Resin

While you can recharge DI resins as explained in the post above, you do need to use two potentially dangerous household chemicals, muriatic acid and lye. If you are going to do this, do it outside, and wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

Also, if you are only going through one or two DI cartridges a year, it may not be worth the time to recharge them. Remember your time is worth something.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I say we have a DI Resin Group recharge the next time we have a meeting. Everybody bring your exhausted DI Resin, chip in for the chemicals to recharge them (it should be a few bucks per person) and get it done

danthemanj said:
I say we have a DI Resin Group recharge the next time we have a meeting. Everybody bring your exhausted DI Resin, chip in for the chemicals to recharge them (it should be a few bucks per person) and get it done

or... we can just get them in the sept. group buy for airwaterice

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
danthemanj said:
$35 for 5lbs or $5 to recharge the same amount, thats 2 frags right there....gotta save for the Frag Swap.

I would rather pay $35 for the 5lbs than deal with the hassle and who knows what other consequences of recharging the resin.

I think trying to save money on something that is filtering the water for my tank is not worth it and a little overboard. With all the money that is invested in our setups cutting corners for this does not seem worth it to me. JMO

smcooler

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
dnov99 said:
danthemanj said:
$35 for 5lbs or $5 to recharge the same amount, thats 2 frags right there....gotta save for the Frag Swap.

I would rather pay $35 for the 5lbs than deal with the hassle and who knows what other consequences of recharging the resin.

I think trying to save money on something that is filtering the water for my tank is not worth it and a little overboard. With all the money that is invested in our setups cutting corners for this does not seem worth it to me. JMO

well said.....

malulu

NJRC Member
for people with smaller tank size, getting a new ones everytime may be ok.

for others with 6 foot tanks, most likely with 350g+ water, recharging seem the way to go. (every penny counts in this hobby... especially current bad job market situation...)

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
malulu said:

for others with 6 foot tanks, most likely with 350g+ water, recharging seem the way to go. (every penny counts in this hobby... especially current bad job market situation...)

If you have to cut corners and pinch every penny on something like this then you are in the wrong hobby. IMO

malulu said:

Pennys don't matter when we have thousands of dollars invested in our systems. Sorry.

malulu

NJRC Member
if i tell you which company i work for...
you probably would agree on me (about saving penny)...
:(

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
malulu said:
if i tell you which company i work for...
you probably would agree on me (about saving penny)...
:(

I hope it is not Lehman Bros?? Good luck and my condolences if it is.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Please save all your spent DI Resin for me. I'll take what ever is available. I can pick up at the Frag swap :)

Thanks,

Dan

Has anyone hear actually recharged their spent DI Resin before or is it the first attempt?

I have heard that spent DI resin can be recharged many times over.

Would like to have/get some info about recharging spent DI resin.

Garry