• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Did anyone try the TUNZE diy wavemaker?

malulu

NJRC Member
By the way, this new circuit looks complicated, because it do more...

the orginal posting on RC only do one thing... (the below bold font)
If you have a smaller tank, and no need the extra stuff, you should use the original RC's one.
thx

To Recap the features:
- a 3 ways switch for: ON, OFF, and Timer mode
- timing would be adujstable between 0.5 to 5 secs (Two individual adjustable settings for ON and OFF).
- LED-1 to show on/off status
- a push button (as PAUSE) for fish feeding time...
- can be adjustable for timing... (~0.5 min to ~4 mins)
- LED-2 to show it is in pause mode (so we won't mistakely think it was off if only have 1 LED)

David,

What would your estimate be for the cost to put this board together including a case? I've never done any board work like this, but it doesn't scare me if you have experience. If I tried it, I would probably look to do this in several months.

Bruce

malulu

NJRC Member
I don't know the cost... have NO IDEA...

Renee said she have some spare parts...

Dan (danthemanj) said he is interested...
Peter (fisheye) also said he is interested...

when i have time later, i will try to check on the web to see how much it cost...

Please don't take any time looking up the cost. I'm not sure at all if I want to try this.

It sounded like Renee started this DIY a while ago and now she has spare parts. Did she finish and was it a success?

malulu

NJRC Member
i did some research - i might change my mind to install one for myself.
;)

Total Electronic cost about $30 from http://www.allelectronics.com
- they don't have the 1M ohm Pot
- also don't have the Keyboard extension core

Resistor All Electronics RadioShack
1M ohm Pot - (x3) - R1, R3, R5 --- Catalog#: 271-211 - $3
100K ohm - (x3) - R2, R4, R6 CAT# 291-100K - $0.50 (10)
10K ohm - (x3) CAT# 291-10K - $0.50 (10)
470 ohm - (x2) CAT# 291-470 - $0.50 (10)

Switch
SW1 - on/off PUSH switch CAT# PB-155 - $0.80
SW2 - 3 positions Rotary switch CAT# RS-95 - $1

Capacitor
220uF TaN - (x2) - C1+C1 CAT# DT-106 - (100nF/16V) - $2.5 x4
6.8uF - (x1) - C2 CAT# AT-685C - (15V) - $0.35
10nF - (x2) CAT# MMC-103 - $1 (5)

Led
LED - (x2) - LED1, LED2 CAT# LED-1 - $1 (10)

Diode
1N 4148 - (x3) CAT# 1N4148 - $1 (15)

IC
555 - (x2) - IC1, IC2 CAT# LM555 - $0.75
555 socket - (x2) - IC1, IC2 CAT# ICS-8 - $0.20

Case CAT# TB-4 - $3.30

circuit Perf board CAT# PC-4 - $2

Wire - http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/825450/Wire/Hook-Up-100-Rolls-/1.html
22 Gauge (any ONE color would be fine) $5.75

Keyboard extension core MALE 5-PIN DIN CONNECTOR (or Keyboard cable would be better)
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=402&sku=01690 $3.5

I usually buy part from digikey.com. the schematic is a perfect one. I have not run simulation of it yet but it look correct to me.
Dave,
thank you for inviting me in to this thread. there is an electronic store at greenbrook on 22 eastbound that you can buy part directly from. Bring your schematic there and they will help you. they also sell the prototype board for electronic so you can put the components on.

the circuit only work with controllable Tunze which is running at DC voltage not AC. I currently working on a controller to control AC pump like Hydor.

I like the simplicity of the circuit by using 2 timer 555 to control timing. a hint for IC 555 timer, buy the socket for the timer so when you assemble the circuit together, you solder the socket instead of 555 timer. when you done, you can just pop the 555 timer into the socket. less chance of damaging your 555 timer due to heat from soldering gun. If anyone need my help on put these thing together, just PM me. I will do it for free but just give me time because I need to do it after work hour.

I might copy this circuit and do it with an IC. :)

malulu

NJRC Member
Oliver,

I know you mean Green Brook Electronic... sure i will try some time this week.

The circle designer Johnson Tseng (my best friend in college), he is one of the top notch in the electronic field, in Taiwan most people in that field know him, his circle should be pretty solid. thanks for confirming that...
;D

yes, the IC-socket is important, thanks for pointing that out to others, i also have it on the list. they are $0.20 each.
note: the problem is not just running the risk to fired the IC-555 chip while soldering too long, it is a pain to TEST then realized it is not working, then have to un-solder the chip, and put in another one, plus the holes used before most likely would be destroyed, and need a new location...etc. which is the big pain (for beginner)...
;-)

regarding to the AC pump, as i read in RC, they said the AC pump use different design (something about it have a break mechanism...), it would wear down the pump quickly if used for this purpose, they recommend it only for DC pumps.

thx

malulu

NJRC Member
i made one with TWO controls (one for ON, and other one for OFF)... but it *seems* makes no diffrents...

please stay tune, as i will post the full steps by steps very soon in a different thread...
:)