• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Difference between Male and Female Cleaner Shrimps

I have two cleaner shrimps

seen what looks like eggs ( little black balls ) in both there bellies

I'm guessing there both girls now

Do they morph into male and female ,

or do I need to find a male for them to hatch there eggs

How can i tell a male from female?

Thanks

Jenn

They are hermaphrodites. Refer to shrimp as "it" or i guess he/she. They cannot self fertilize but if you have two - then one or the other will always be gravid with eggs.

My two cleaners both had the eggs at the same time?

so thought both girls

so your saying, eventually they will change to boy and girl

I wonder if peppermints and cleaners can inter mingle

the shrimp are indeed hermaphrodites.. they posses both organs but as soon as they molt reproduction can occur. When one molts the other will use the opportunity to mate with it and seeing that every time they lay eggs they molt you see how the cycle goes.. Yes one can be carrying fertilized eggs while the other one is molting and fertilize its eggs giving you two shrimps with eggs.. This will probably be a never ending cycle for your shrimp until there is only one or none of them left. :)

Cool , maybe i have baby cleaners in the tank then

if i can catch one tomorrow i'll try to get picture

Jenn said:
I wonder if peppermints and cleaners can inter mingle

They play nice together...but they can't won't create a mixed breed...it would be cool to see a pepermint shrimp with a sripe down it's back though. :D