• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Different plumbing question

I recently changed the plumbing in the overflow of my 54 gallon tank. I have two slip bulkhead fittings(3/4 and 1 inch). Should i cement the pvc pipe that connects from the bulkhead to the sump? Im not really sure. Thanks for any feedback

-Eugene

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Anything outside of your tank should be glued or clamped in some fashion. You wouldn't want to wake up one morning to see an empty tank.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes, cement them on the oustide of the tank. You can press fit them in on the inside.

HTH

Are you talking specifically about glueing the black bulkheads to white PVC?

If so NO you do not glue them. They aren't supposed to be glued and are made of different materials then PVC. Some people glue them and never run into a problem but others have problems doing this. You should never really use PVC cement on anything but PVC as it usually breaks down other types of plastics over time.

I'm sure others will disagree with this but if you call the manufacture of the bulkhead they will usually tell you not to glue it.

Carlo

I've not had a problem with gluing PVC to bulkhead fittings using PVC cement. However, Carlo is correct, it is a different plastic. Go easy on the cement, and in this case, don't use primer.

You could also replace those bulkheads with PVC bulkheads, but you'd need a larger hole,

You also can use aquarium grade silicone rubber. This will make a good seal, and it can be worked loose if necessary.

I believe the proper way to do it is to use a rubber coupling. You slide it down the PVC pipe and then insert the PVC into the bulkhead. Then slide the coupling over the bulkhead and tighten the two fasteners.

If you intend to glue it anyway. :) Rough up the inside of the bulkhead and the PVC pipe pretty good with sandpaper. As Dave pointed out don't use primer at all as it might "melt" the other plastic. There is an "all purpose" cement available at Lowes (probably HD also) in the plumbing isle that is much better then PVC cement for doing this also.

Carlo

I should have also put in this link. PVC bulkhead fittings are difficult to find at your local home center. You want the schedule 80 ones. Note that they do require a larger hole. However, you just glue them up like any other fitting.

Offsite link - http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=2

While we are on the subject of plumbing, I should point out that a clear primer is available, rather than the purple stuff normally sold. The clear primer makes a much neater looking joint, with no purple runs all over the work.

Those are really good prices on PVC bulkheads in that link but somebody needs to proof read the site "bottem side and femail thread". :)

I tried finding clear primer but haven't been able to find it at Lowes or HD. Probably need to get it at a real plumbing store.

Where do you normally find the clear at DaveK?

Carlo

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We buy clear primer at HD/Lowes all the time and always use it rather than the purple. We do use the "Rain & Shine" (thick blue pvc glue) rather than the regular glue on critical joints, so we tend to have a blue mess rather than a purple mess, especially for anything that we wouldn't want to have to have to take apart and put back together.

I myself wouldn't glue PVC pipe together without using the purple primer. When I sold my house last year I failed inspection on my house because of that. It didn't matter if primer was used or not because it couldn't be seen = FAILURE.

Lucky for me it was only aquarium pipe so I just ripped it out and got reinspected.

Be careful and check with your town/city permit department to find out or you may cause yourself grief down the road. BTW, I got fined for not having a permit too. Even though I pulled the pipe I had to pay a fine and then still get the permit. :(

All my pipe came out nice with no purple showing anywhere unless you look hard for it. I was careful and took my time. Also kept a roll of paper towels near by.

Carlo

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can't use clear primer for house work, that would certainly fail. I thought we were talking about tank plumbing.

Carlo said:
Those are really good prices on PVC bulkheads in that link but somebody needs to proof read the site "bottem side and femail thread". :)

I tried finding clear primer but haven't been able to find it at Lowes or HD. Probably need to get it at a real plumbing store.

Where do you normally find the clear at DaveK?

Carlo

I have usually been able to find clear primer at my local HD, but if all else fails, you can usually get it here - (offsite link) - http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=8&ptid=27

It is correct in that some places will fail a home inspection because they don't see the purple primer. Use the clear primer only for aquarium plumbing, just in case.

Phyl said:
You can't use clear primer for house work, that would certainly fail. I thought we were talking about tank plumbing.

I think it's a local thing Phyl. Where my house was (Franklinville) they didn't care what the use of the pipe was for. All pipe was treated equal in their eyes. Down there you had to have general, electrical, plumbing, termite, fire, septic & well inspections and some other inspection if I recall but can't think of right at the moment in order to get a CO (certificate of occupancy) which is needed to sell a house.

In Bordentown where I moved to there was just a general inspection (if you call it that) where a guy walks through and checks for GFIs, running water, CO2 detectors, smoke alarms and fire extinguishers. They don't even require a re-inspection if it fails if you show them receipts for purchases on smoke alarms, extinguisher, etc. The new house owner just sings a statement saying they were installed. I wanted a couple of other inspections done so I got my mortgage company to "require" termite & radon inspections/testing.

It was amazing the difference in township inspections. This is why I'd suggest giving the clerk's office a call to ask about a required permit or the use of purple primer on fish tank plumbing. It's a 5-10 minute call that can save you a lot of grief down the road.

Carlo