• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Difficult Fish to Quarantine

I was just reading up an old post you did about freshwater dips. I have a very fat green target mandarin in my tank almost 2 years old, a fish store gave me a female orange psychedelic to try to save 2-3 days ago l. She's doing fine but my established male started chasing her ,she's way too fast, he'd give up and huff and puff in the corner. After a few chases he's just can't catch his breath. And stopped eating, he just sits somewhere and and breathes heavy now, he doesn't even chase her or anything, just lays about, doesn't eat and breathes heavy, been like this for a day and a half . Sometimes he seems better sometimes he seems worse. Any insight? Can a fish just be so physically unfit it can't deal with the stress and activity? I'm worried about something in his gills, no outwardly visible parasites.

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I was just reading up an old post you did about freshwater dips. I have a very fat green target mandarin in my tank almost 2 years old, a fish store gave me a female orange psychedelic to try to save 2-3 days ago l. She's doing fine but my established male started chasing her ,she's way too fast, he'd give up and huff and puff in the corner. After a few chases he's just can't catch his breath. And stopped eating, he just sits somewhere and and breathes heavy now, he doesn't even chase her or anything, just lays about, doesn't eat and breathes heavy, been like this for a day and a half . Sometimes he seems better sometimes he seems worse. Any insight? Can a fish just be so physically unfit it can't deal with the stress and activity? I'm worried about something in his gills, no outwardly visible parasites.
I suppose that’s possible, but most likely you would never see signs of parasites/worms on the skin of a dragonet. Their mucus layer is too thick to allow parasites through. However, parasites or worms could be present on the gill plates where the mucus is reduced in composition.

I suppose that’s possible, but most likely you would never see signs of parasites/worms on the skin of a dragonet. Their mucus layer is too thick to allow parasites through. However, parasites or worms could be present on the gill plates where the mucus is reduced in composition.
I did a freshwater dip. Didn't see anything pop off but honestly I'm not the best with fish disease. I've never had to deal with it besides a few off brand fish I've gotten. Died this morning, pretty gutted. Was my favorite fish. Ate the best , acted the best. If any of my other fish show signs , I'll get my hospital tank going and hop on your forum for some more specific advice from the community. Thanks for the response.