• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

dinner time!!!!

i love these guys... ;D ;D

P1000149.jpg

P1000151.jpg

P1000143.jpg

how often do you feed them and what do you do with the starfish after they've eaten all its legs? is the starfish alive when you throw it in the tank?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Chris, we feed ours every 2 weeks or so (when we start seeing them out in the open). They actually eat the entire starfish so there's nothing left behind when they're done. They're alive when we throw them in, but they don't last long. The shrimp are on them within minutes. They have an incredible ability to smell the starfish in the water with them.

The only exception we've found is that if we're holding a starfish in the sump waiting to feed (ie. bought 2 instead of one when we shopped), then when we go to feed the second one, since the smell is already in the system, we just about have to drop it on their head. They don't realize there's new food in the tank.

yea i usually feed mine once every 2 weeks usually when they start dancing. but mine are always out they are very socible they actually chill out right in front where you can look at them and if i put my hand in the tank one will usually crawl onto my hand. it takes mine about 4-5 days to consume a chocolate chip and there is nothing left. they are quite strong too my wife and i watched them pull a whole starfish from the bottom of the tank to the top of the live rock