• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dinos or Tap Out

So because I had ich in my system, during the fallow period, my nutrients dropped for long enough to allow dinos to overtake my system.

It's been one thing after the other. My fallow period has been over for a few weeks but now I have to fight dinos. Highly considering just tapping out and giving up.

ive posted on R2R multiple times trying to get help but no responses. Same with askbrs fb page (all they say is to buy a UV). I'm kinda tight on money and can't afford to dump $200-$300 on a UV right now. (thanks covid)

wanted to ask for the last time if anybody here has any tips on how to get rid of Coolia Dinos before throwing in the towel.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
What do you have as a clean up crew?
Can you go dark? Do you have corals ?

Complete blackout and peroxide.
No water changes whatsoever.
I've done this up to a week and had no issues with fish or coral.
If you feel the need to feed, feed only a bit and cover system back up again.

What do you have as a clean up crew?
Can you go dark? Do you have corals ?

I do have coral. I have mixed snails along with hermits.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I went dark for 7 days. Used black poster board from dollar store and taped all around the tank. Covered with a dark sheet/blanket. Lot some coral that were going out anyway and one fish. Huge water change afterwards. God luck but don't give up; I know the feeling.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
This is what worked for me...

Granted I did have a cheap UV it was the other stuff that worked imo.

I began dosing phosphate heavily while treating with dinox. I would siphon substrate daily into a filter sock and floss and change out media daily. I would constantly baste rocks and corals to ensure no suffocation. I didn't do any black outs etc. It was all crazy husbandry. I'm currently dealing with high phosphate now which is manageable

Best of luck

I don’t know your tank size, but If you can get a green killing machine, they work well and they are relatively cheap. I used mine to take care of a real bad green water bloom in my 110gal and i saw results within a week. If your tank is huge, it probably won’t eliminate the problem but it may make things easier on you. Only caveat of GKM is that the bulb dies out after a few short months. It absolutely saved my corals though.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Did a long term blackout as well, almost two full weeks. Yeah lost some corals but got rid of the dinos. What size is your display and what is in there right now? Also, there is an article on reef builders about brining temp up and that seems to help.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Agree with all. I did a compete black out for 7 days. Covered top and sides. Leave a small gap to make sure air cam get in and out for temp and Oxy. And run pumps on high with at least one breaking the water for ripples

Does peroxide through sump at 1 ml per gallon everyday. Run carbon and skimmer wet Remove covers on day 8 and enjoy the brown skeleton of dinos!!!!

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I agree with everyone. straight darkness. cover the tank with garbage bags if you have to. fish don't need light.

So I've been trying the Dr. tim's treatment for dinos. I just turned my lights on after 3 day black out with adding refresh. Lost 1 sps frag (my first and only one that I had) can't find my yellow coris wrasse. I'm hoping this wasn't all for nothing. I guess we'll see.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201121-182621_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201121-182621_Gallery.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20201121_182728.jpg
    20201121_182728.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 2
It was fine for a few days but it seems to be coming back. Day 6 of Dr. Tim's recipe to get rid of dinos. Super discouraging. Not sure what I'm gonna do if this doesn't work. But I guess I'll finish this off

Attachments

• 20201123_194127.jpg
    20201123_194127.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So I've been trying the Dr. tim's treatment for dinos. I just turned my lights on after 3 day black out with adding refresh. Lost 1 sps frag (my first and only one that I had) can't find my yellow coris wrasse. I'm hoping this wasn't all for nothing. I guess we'll see.
I do a full week. You should also dose peroxide daily at 10mls per gallon. This has knocked it out everytumr.
Tank must be dark