• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DIY Algae Grower

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So here is what I came up for a makeshift scrubber. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210303_221051_HDR.jpg
    20210303_221051_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35

erics210

NJRC Member
Mark, just the screen floating in the sump? I think you’re gonna have one messy sump...
Ohhhhhh. I thought he has the mesh cut into the corrugated hose above it and the water would trickle down it.

COuld you try getting a piece of pvc or tubing so the water at least passes over it in a flow?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Eric, Its tight over there. My other option is to get a basket and clip in same spot and add cheato with the light.
Not sure which is better option.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Hey Mark you could do exactly the same thing that you’re doing right now just put it in a Tupperware container with a lot a holes on the bottom and have the water pouring on the top and let it drain through and you’ll get the same results and I’ll stay confined to a container

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Hey Mark you could do exactly the same thing that you’re doing right now just put it in a Tupperware container with a lot a holes on the bottom and have the water pouring on the top and let it drain through and you’ll get the same results and I’ll stay confined to a container
I like that idea and will have to get one and try it out.
Thanks.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I've seen this a few different times on R2R and RC. Users have claimed good results, but flow becomes an issue as the growth gets thicker
Yeah, I saw on FB...LOL
I plan to toss the screen and place a new one when its gets full of algae. I have a bag full and cut the screen in half.

Yeah, I saw on FB...LOL
I plan to toss the screen and place a new one when its gets full of algae. I have a bag full and cut the screen in half.
I wouldn't toss it. Scrape it off, give it a quick rinse and put it back. It will grow faster that way.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I agree. New screens take a while to take hold, starting over each time wouldn’t be very efficient.

Did you rough the screen up? If not you should, it will grow much more algae with more area to hold on to.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Lie it flat, take a butterknife and hold it way up near the 'serrations', scratch the heck out of the screen.

Or, just take a ceramic frag plug with an expensive frag on it, it'll cover in algae in 15 seconds.

Or, when I get a solid build on my hob scrubber, I’ll drop one off to you to use and test for me. Still have to rework (this is v4) and figure out how to run leds, but shouldnt be too long...
D3EC67A3-A3E2-43D2-A2E0-98D13D6CE459.jpeg

Last edited:

DangerDave

NJRC Member
You can take a hole saw with the center bit removed and go to town running it over it. It’ll get really fuzzy as you go. You know it’s enough when your arm is numb.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I don't have a sump, but this idea for an in tank scrubber caught my interest- under $20- going to give it a try

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I don't have a sump, but this idea for an in tank scrubber caught my interest- under $20- going to give it a try

I saw this and did consider it. I am concerned as he stated light fallout into the sump or DT. Would need to cut the carton very straight.