• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DIY controller

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
As you saw my thread I do have one. I used to follow the reef-pi on R2R but been away from that site for awhile now. Its a fun project if you have the time to do it.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
congrats to him. that is one thing i like about the pi and even reef-pi you can buy and build as you go. you don't need to purchase all at once

@njtiger24 aquariums , heard this, my wife asked me how much for the controller if i make it, so i told her like maybe 250, then she asked me how much for the apex so i told her 600, she just told me to put 300 and she will put the rest for the apex so now the question is, take months building it or just a few weeks and come out with 300 foe the apex

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have a apex 2016 and I have to say if I had to do it again I wouldn’t buy it.
The salinity probe is horrible and can’t be trusted.
Orb is useless. Ph is always off. Temp is good.
I now use Kessil controller to control my lights.
My pumps have their own controller.
I could purchase a “Alexa” controlled power strip and shut things down automatically with my voice. I have a dos for water change but I dose with a jebao. I don’t trust apex enough to buy the trident.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
check out some of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D2I981...olid=3R89SN55941FB&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it . - These will help you switch out the temp prop if one goes bad on you. I had one or two go bad on me before I started using these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EKKDRT...olid=3R89SN55941FB&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it . - This is a good place to install some of the eletronitc. If you see the pictures in my I have my pi inside and my touch screen mounted to the front

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G8V35J...olid=3R89SN55941FB&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it - These make connectiong wires easier

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I have a apex 2016 and I have to say if I had to do it again I wouldn’t buy it.
The salinity probe is horrible and can’t be trusted.
Orb is useless. Ph is always off. Temp is good.
I now use Kessil controller to control my lights.
My pumps have their own controller.
I could purchase a “Alexa” controlled power strip and shut things down automatically with my voice. I have a dos for water change but I dose with a jebao. I don’t trust apex enough to buy the trident.
You make me nervous..

I guess on both of my Apex setups I only use temperature probes and ability to run timers and routines for plugs. I could have managed to do that with a smart power strip However the Apex was convenient. I'll have a crappy webcam monitor my tank with a traditional thermometer in view for double checking at all times

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
You make me nervous..

I guess on both of my Apex setups I only use temperature probes and ability to run timers and routines for plugs. I could have managed to do that with a smart power strip However the Apex was convenient. I'll have a crappy webcam monitor my tank with a traditional thermometer in view for double checking at all times

I think as timee goes by more companies are going to take control of their own product line.

So for Red Sea they will have there own controller that will control lights/tank/dosing/pumps from their own app

Echo tech will also eventually have a one stop app with control over pumps/ lights and tank dosing.

Apex is going to start losing customers.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I think as timee goes by more companies are going to take control of their own product line.

So for Red Sea they will have there own controller that will control lights/tank/dosing/pumps from their own app

Echo tech will also eventually have a one stop app with control over pumps/ lights and tank dosing.

I'd like to see some more options

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor

I totally agree but the problem with that is most users are not going to want different apps/control software to manage their system. This mean either folks will purchase all one brand to make it easier on them or we will start seeing more and more software base option, that can run on anything like a raspberry pi, to interface everything.

I totally agree but the problem with that is most users are not going to want different apps/control software to manage their system. This mean either folks will purchase all one brand to make it easier on them or we will start seeing more and more software base option, that can run on anything like a raspberry pi, to interface everything.
agreed

eli smoke

NJRC Member
Long time lurker, relatively new poster. This is an older thread, but I’m gonna add my 2 cents.
I use current USA loop for my lights and pumps, autoaqua for my ato/awc. I used float sensors hooked up to wireless alarm contacts to alert me if my sump gets too high or too low. I also have the same thing in my rodi and my salt water storage tanks to text me when I need to make more. So I can’t control remotely but I do monitor.
I keep my storage tanks in my basement and the pumps for the autoaqua are extremely weak. So I have a 24vdc power supply with relays to trigger tunze pumps to pump the ato and the awc up to the first floor.