• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DIY Glass Tank???

Anyone ever try to build their own glass tank? I'm thinking of doing a 30x30x24. I see that Glasscages has this size rimless, there's also no bottom frame. Is this held together with just silicone? If so, it should be pretty easy. I can have 1/2" glass cut to size: 30x30 for the base, 24x30 for the front and back and 24x29 for the sides. Silicone the front, rear and sides together and to the base, clamp it for a few days than come back and run a nice bead of silicone along all the joints.

Am I missing anything or is that all there is to it?

Yes all most all glass tanks are held together with only silicone. The plastic frame on most tanks is to protect the edges of the glass and hide the water line.
You need to place silicone between the panes and in the corners at the same time since silicone dosen't stick to dry silicone very well. But I would get a price for the glass. I bet you'll find that a factory tank is cheaper than the price of the glass from your local glass company.

Also, you don't really want to clamp everything together or you will squeeze the silicone out. Electrical tape that is somewhat stretched to hold the glass together is recommended to use for the correct pressure.

mheaven and I have been thinking of making a frag tank. Nano-paul on Nano reefs has a glass shop and sometimes he offers low iron glass at a little over cost. I know in the past people have been agitated with him because since he is not doing it for a profit he takes his time. Can't get upset with the guy because he doesn't take your money until he is ready to cut, drill holes or whatever else you ask for.

I spoke to the glass supplier we use at work today. He laughed and said the glass pieces I want are going to cost quite a bit. They don't work with 1/2" themselves so they will get me a price pre-cut and polished from their distributor. Also said he won't charge me any more than they charge him. Should find out tomorrow. Starting to look like Glasscages will be cheaper, just hate having to drive to White Plains to p/u.

Got a price for the 1/2" glass today. It is a total of 360. Glasscages charges 420 for the same size tank and they use 3/8" glass, plus 100 to p/u in White Plains. So, it's 520 + gas and tolls vs. 360 + silicone and a little time. Looks like I'll be ordering some glass soon.

The only question I still have is; do the sides go on top of the bottom panel or around it? I keep getting both answers. Which one is right?

Side panels between front and back and all rest on top of bottom panel. This way if you only support on the edges, the bottom cant be forced out.