• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DIY MP10 Bearing Replacement

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Vortech’s overpriced powerheads are known for eating bearings on their dryside, usually evident in becoming very loud. If they are still under warrantee, no problem, you get a new dryside replacement. If they are out of warrantee, your choice was to buy a new dryside for mucho bucks……..until dahenley posted a DIY over on Reefcentral titled “Noisy Vortech DrySide FIX!!” So I can’t take credit for this, but wanted to post my experiences here on replacing the noisy bearings in an MP10. I’ll also be doing this soon for a noisy MP40 I have….but this post is all MP10

I used the above RC post to learn about how to do the replacement, as well as purchasing what I thought were the best bearings for the MP10. You wouldn’t believe all the different types and qualities of bearings there are. Anyway, from what had been published, I came to the conclusion that the BOCA bearing SMR147-ZZ #5 at $8.95 each gave you the best bang for the buck. With free shipping, for $17.90 for two bearing, I’ll hopefully have a better-than-new dryside….versus a new dryside from Vortech for $106. I’ve since seen additional posts over on RC where a poster has had problems with these particular Boca bearings. So it’s still a puzzle on what the best bearing is or if there is something else going on.

The second little tidbit that helped ease me into doing this DIY were two YouTube videos that showed how to pull apart a Vortech pump, and how to put it back together. Here are those two videos:

Pulling apart a Vortech

Putting a Vortech back together

Now here are my experiences:

OPENING THE VORTECH

This is the scary part of the rebuild….you will be potentially defacing the dryside…and it wasn’t real clear from the write up, and certainly not the video, in how to go about this. They said pry it off. Well prying worked for me about half way around the pump. I started with a fixed blade scalpel (this is an antique, and no longer available). I choose this as my first tool of choice because not only was it sharp, to help cut, but also strong enough to pry as well. But again, half way around, prying became difficult and I was doing damage to the plastic. So my next attack was with a utility knife with a new blade. I kept running this back and forth in the grove until it cut all the way through. I continued this cutting method the rest of the way around the pump. All this cutting and prying took about 45 minutes or so. Here are the two tools I used for that:

Knives.jpg

One more thing….before starting to cut this end piece off, I put alignment marks in this piece so that when I re-assembled it, the end piece would go back in exactly the same position. Two little notches were made in-line with the wire cutout, to use as an alignment point.

knotchesincover.jpg

Once this end piece was cut off, I used the RC instructions and video to continue disassembling the pump. The allen wrench that is needed is a 2 mm wrench. The pump easily opened up and the rotor easily slipped out. Be careful not to loose the three washers in the far end of the stator portion.

REMOVAL OF THE OLD BEARINGS

Now with the removal of the old bearings, the video showed how to use a builder’s square to pop the bearings off. I’ve got to assume that video was done on an MP40, because when I went to slide my builder’s square between the bearing and rotor magnet, it wasn’t even close to fitting.

BearingRemovalwithBuildersSquare.jpg

So the way I pulled off the old bearings was to use my vise on the outer bearing by very lightly clamping down on the bearing and tapping a hammer on a wood dowel that was in contact with the rotor shaft. With the inner bearing, the vise couldn’t hold it tight enough, so I lightly clamped this bearing in a pair of vise grips and then did the same tapping thing.

INSTALLING THE NEW BEARINGS

If you read all the posts over on RC you will see a number of folks who still had noisy Vortechs after installing new bearings. It’s a puzzle. But one of my guesses is that the bearings aren’t slide on all the way and now cause for excessive lateral forces on the bearings…..which causes the noise. Again, this is a big guess on my part. So I wanted to make sure my bearings were driven all the way “home.” So the rotor went into the freezer for a couple hours while the bearings rested on one of the hot radiators in the house… (forced hot water in an older house with cast iron radiators….and frigid temperatures helped with a real hot radiator) In addition, I drilled two pieces of scrap lumber with a 9/32” drill. This is oh-so-slightly larger than the rotor shaft. I used these blocks to very lightly tap the bearing “home” using a hammer.

MountingNewBearings.jpg

The rest of the reassembly was uneventful. I attached the cut-off end piece with six or seven dabs of cyanoacrylate glue. I was fortunate in that the rebuild is now quiet. Dance

Great write up, tagging along for my future usebin case I find a "bad"mp40

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So maybe I was a bit premature in my favorable response to the Boca bearing change on my MP10. I walked into the fish room today and I can now hear this subject Vortech while standing next to the tank. Right after doing the bearing change, I could not hear the pump unless I moved my ear closer to the pump. Now I could hear it standing next to the tank. I do want to stress that the rebuild greatly reduced the noise. It was originally very loud before doing this DIY. The rebuild greatly reduced this noise, but now I was noticing it more than right after the rebuild. And I though the break-in would have made it quieter! Darn this is a head scratcher.

I was still very suspect of the lateral forces on the bearing. This is the first MP10 for me….I have experience with MP40’s, but not MP10’s. The one thing that bothered me was that the MP40’s require you to set the thickness of the glass, but MP10’s don’t. I know if you set the MP40 for a thick glass, and then put it on a thinner glass, it will be very noisy. So again, I was puzzled why MP10’s didn’t have this option.

I currently have this MP10 on a JBJ 28, which I believe has 6 millimeter thick glass…..just a tad under a ¼ inch. Since the MP10 doesn’t have a thickness setting, I’d make the glass effectively thicker. I first cut a disc out of 1/16 inch acrylic using a 2 ½ inch hole saw, and put this disc behind the wetside. (I first tried this on the dryside, but the heavier weight of the dryside caused it to slip.)

VortechSpacer.jpg

I thought I detected a slight reduction in noise, so I then cut a ¼ inch thick disc out and popped that in. There was a slightly further reduction in noise. So I’m now running my MP10 with this “thickener” disc behind the wetside to help quiet it down. It’s not overly loud…..you can still hear it when standing next to that side of the tank. I’m now a little disappointed with this DIY. I was expecting a quiet pump from this rebuild.

Paul, there should have been a rubber disk that came with the MP-10. That is the spacer you use when the glass is under a certian thickness. At this point between the thickness of the glass and the 1/4" pad you are using you might just be at or above the upper limit on thickness. Just keep an eye on the dryside to make sure it does not fall.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul I must have at least 4 of the rubber spacers that I'm not using from my MP-10's. I'll give you one next time I see you.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the heads-up John. I actually made a slight boo-boo. The plexiglass I have was sold as ¼ inch. I just measured it, and it’s only 3/16 of an inch thick. So my total thickness of the glass plus this disc is around (0.23 + 0.19) 0.42 inches. I was actually surprised with the amount of “pull” from the magnets, even with this additional thickness. I don’t think the dryside is going anywhere. And the wetside is spinning with ease.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul I must have at least 4 of the rubber spacers that I'm not using from my MP-10's. I'll give you one next time I see you.

I do have a very thin rubber disc on mine.....stuck with glue/adhesive.....you can see it in the picture above (first post). But I did buy this used and got no other "spacers" with the unit.

The thin foam rubber disk that is glued to the dry side is supposed to be there. There is a second disk that is probably 1/8" thick, and shiny black.

Added: when I looked back at the pic that does look like it. Maybe previous owner glued it in place.

radiata

NJRC Member
Thank you!

Paul,

Thank you for posting this thread! It gives me yet another chance to be pleased with my preference for Tunze Streams.

Best Regards,
Bob

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bob, I think you might be right. I just don’t think that post over on RC has found the right bearings for the MP10. These are radial bearings, in an environment of a fair amount of lateral forces. And I think it’s the lateral forces that are causing the problems with these bearings.