• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do additives really expire?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
That is old. Not really sure. Where is the chemist... Ahem Paul, redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here’s my two cents….depends on the chemical form they are in and what they will be used for….a dip or as a supplement.

With Iodine (I2), it will degrade with light and time...but that might be a good thing. A common “Iodine” is Lugals, which contains some Potassium Iodide, which ends up stabilizing the iodine and making it very stable. As a dip, if that’s your thing, it’s good. As a supplement, if you wish to match seawater, you’d want IO3-...an iodide form.

Strontium matches Calcium and Magnesium chemically and I can’t think of any form that wouldn’t be stable….Strontium hydroxide, Strontium Sulfate, etc. That said, all salt blends have equal to or greater than strontium content, versus natural seawater. So I don’t know why you’d want to add it unless you’re doing no water changes. Secondly, I’m of the belief that if you’re not testing for it, you don’t add it. So if you’re not testing for strontium, I wouldn’t be adding it.

Tech D, I had never heard of it, and had to look it up. With Kent being sucked up by some corporate conglomerate, I’m not even sure if it’s still available. Couldn’t even find an MSDS??? I couldn’t find any info on what’s in it…..only know it’s a coral dip….but I personally wouldn’t hesitate using it as a dip.