• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do Clownfish Jump?

:(
Woke up this morning to just one clownfish in the tank. I was (as usual) late for work so did a fast look around but couldn't find it anywhere.

Have they been known to jump out of tank? I have a cat and she might have taken over the job of "clean up crew" if it did indeed jump out. It seems unlikely because I have a glass cover with only the back exposed.

I'll move rocks tonight to see if it died :'( and fell where I couldn't see it. I checked ammonia, in case the new rock I put in caused a new cycle -- reading was 0.

Paula you mite want to take the glass cover off.It filters alot of light from getting in your tank and cause heat build up.If you have jumpers you can buy from a store like HomeDepot .They sell a egg crate type of material for light fixture for drop selling(they are 1"squares or smaller openings)they are easy to cut and I had mine cut in half to make it easy to take one side out if needed.They have it in white or crome,I got the crome.

Id have to disagree with the light loss. glass doesnt reflect light all that much. if anything it would disperse the light more evenly across the tank. I wouldnt think that heat would be a problem unless you are running metal halides and even that all depends on placement of the tank (basement compared to attic) and wattage of lights you are using. i thought you were running flourescents which do not put out a lot of heat. as for the clown fish, any fish can jump. some a little more than others. being such a new set up i would look behind the rocks or around the suction of your pumps.

The lead that is in glass has bin studied to give up to22% loss depending the thickness of the glassand the amount of lead.Also my compacks give of a lot of heat ti even has a fan that comes on with the 10K and I did an experiment and my tank drop 2.7 deg with out glass,it also depends on the size tank,the bigger it is the less it will change and it also helps in the gas circulation.

the problem with the glass and the lights is that make the greenhouse effect and not let for a good gas exchange, thats why glass top is not such a good idea, believe me i try to my little 20 and the temp change and water quality change quiet alot. so paula i think your top should come off and yes clown fish can jump too, but depends more of the individual fish ;D

They make two different kinds of stands.One kind you use two on the front and back total of four in black or clear and they are kind of flimsy.And enougher kind that attachs to the ends so you use two and can swing fixture up so you can work in the tank which you can't with the other.They are blulky but nicer.I had them both and like the swinging ones,it is also like 1 1/2" higher off the tank so less spray on the lens of your fixture.

I was looking at them the other day when I was picking up a couple snails. I 'll probably get the swinging type next trip to the store. I'm taking it slow adding things to the tank so only bought 2 snails -- i read few places you should have 1 snail per 2 gallons.

My one clownfish seems lonely lol -- or at least not acting as outgoing as he used to be. If my water readings stay ok, do u think introducing another one would be a good idea?

There are a couple different kind of snail but you buy say 10 at a time do you have sand on the bottom?As with the clown you can if you want but what size tank if it sin't big I wouldn't so you can get something else.I have one and when I got some fuzzy mushrooms he calls them home in stead of anomone.

kabal, you should have enough gas exchange through your protien skimmer, overflows, sump etc. my 140 is in the basement running halides(10k's) 300watts plus 200 watt pc actinics. my heaters still come on during the day. theres also no problems with gas exchange. this is with a closed top. im curious as when you said your water quality changed with tops on, in what way did you mean? rottie, Im not saying that no light would be lossed through the glass just not that much. i think there more of a personal preference then a necessity or some awful light dispersion device. you get some light loss with everything it all depends on light intensity, depth of the tank, glass thickness, what you are trying to keep,etc. with 65 watt strip lights you are not going to build much heat if any in your tank. IMO I would save the money on the light stands and add more rock to the tank. 15 lbs of rock in the size aquarium paula has, wont keep up much of a biological load. you will also have more evaporation, so more top offs.

Bozo show me my qoute that I said the water quility changed with the top on or off?Beside you have MH and a big tank.Your not going to see a big diff.with glass compared to Hers and your temp isn't going to change as much because you have a much bigger tank and a sump and all ,like I already told Her.Please read the threads!

rottie, i believe is was kabal that said his water parmeters had changed as stated in my post. i also never had heat problems with normal output flourescent strip lights no matter what size of tank i had. ive had 20 ,29, 55, and a 75 running strips. never a heat problem. id love to see those studies where 22% of light is lost through glass tops. that seems realy high. but it would be good info.
steve

Ok I thought the whole thread was to me ,but it was just after that that,sorry.Where I got that was along time ago so maybe changed since then but I don't think glass has changed much.I got it from a old magnazine call Marine Fish Monthly and the same guy who wrote that was also at MACNA 3 that my old fish club sponcered.By the way if you ever get a chance to go to a MACNA do it, I would go again!