• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do GBTA’s Get Big?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I picked up a Green Bubble tip from a local NJRC member a couple months ago (one street away from me)…thanks Bill. Anyway, I feed the little bugger whenever I thought about it…maybe once a month or so. So about a week or two ago I thought it split…still relatively small, but now two small anemones. I purposely put this guy on a single rock surrounded by sand, thinking that they won’t walk across sand.

So I’m peering into the tank today and I see my two little green guys on that solitary rock and I look up at the waterline on the left side of the tank and, low and behold, there is another GBTA. All three of them are about the same size. Nowhere near the size of the RBTA I have…which split about a year ago. These guys are small. Do they ever get big? Do they split that frequently? I’m definitely not feeding them anymore. I’m going back to raising guppies!

Here’s a pic of the guy at the waterline:

IMG_0286.jpg

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul

The biggest my GBTA gets is about 6" across the oral disc. If you feed it, as you now know, it splits. If the water parameters are off enough it splits. I currently have 7 in my tank. I'm lucky they don't move. Only upside is my clowns are in heaven.

Bob

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
These guys are maybe one inch across while my RBTA is about 4 - 5 inches across. Why are they spitting while the red is happy and not splitting. By the way, Red was fed when the Greens were fed.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My green one was huge. Then split and they were both huge. Then split again and there were none.

Found new homes for all of them.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Paul,
I think it has to do with the people we obtained them from. I got mine from Bob and now have 5 from 1" to abot 2.5". You got your's from Bill. See the trend we obtained them from people who's name start with a 'B'.....lol
I was feeding mine weekly frozen krill and they split quickly. Now I do not do that often and they have positioned themselves in the current to catch what is floating. I have had no splits since doing this. Hope it helps.

Mark

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Qwik,
I had one for sale in the Deals/Steals forum and no takers. Send PM if you want one. I don't want to hi-jack this post.

Mark

Paul the red one I got from has split twice ... now I have 3 of them all about 5 inches... and one wants to wander I need to find a way to lasso one and pass it on.

Please lmk, I need a few with all the baby clowns I have > They are all (15)hosting the carpet and I think its getting pissed ;D

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
(Qwik, James is talking to me....I’m a Paul too....he got his RBTA from me....but if you two guys can work something out....I know nothing.)

James, the red guy we have has only split once....and you have that “baby.” And I’m terrible with time, but I’d guess I’ve had red for about two-plus years. I think I got little green in Jan/Feb timeframe of this year. And already I have three (well now two, I gave one away). I will not feed the greens anymore. I’ll continue to feed red about once a month or whenever I think of it.

What I find amazing is that the one green guy crossed the sand…I thought they wouldn’t walk across sand. The other thing is that when red decided to walk the length of the five foot tank, it left a path of destruction. With little green, I see no death/destruction from the walk it took to get to the top of the tank. Now, if it stayed on sand the whole way, I wouldn’t see the path of death.

the rbta one i got from DaveH (RIP maan) ended up being 13" across then split and is around 10" across now thats the Oral disc size.

Phyl said:
My green one was huge. Then split and they were both huge. Then split again and there were none.

Found new homes for all of them.

HAHAHA thats funny! getting rid of my gbta soon too. it's grown to the size of a dinner plate now and is just taking up too much room. Thinkin of gettin a small carpet

I am really confused now,lol. I am looking for another rbta ,I purchased one from the club and could use another,I could also use a gbta,someone,anyone let me know ,lol,thanks paul

I will post one up when I can figure how to get him out....coached him back outa the way. Yeah RedfishPaul he is a destructive one.

Anemones dont have a known size that they can get to. There size is infinite since they can live hundreds of years and keep expanding.

I have had the same bubble tip that you had paul, they all came from a mother a couple years ago that i sold to roadking and some others.

They do get big but need to be fed everday to get that big.

Anemones have been found in the wild that have a diameter as big as a vw beatle and found magnificas found in schools of hundreds.

My RBTA is around 1.5 ft & my gbta is only around 4in. I Never had on split. I think this is a good thing?