• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

do i clean?

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My sump is a 40 gallon tank (2014) never cleaned sand or rocks . Every time i move something in refug part ,water is really dirty .And then I run floss .Should i rip down and totally clean .Add new sand? My question is wouldn't this cause a new cycle? Seen some people that do not ?

horseplay

NJRC Member
I vacuum out the sump every once a while. Having sand in there would make this difficult but I do have rocks. I just siphon out the detritus when I see it builds up. Do this slowly you will be fine.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Any time you are removing/replacing sand you want to be careful. If you are doing it, do it like a quarter at a time and do a water change with it. We are overdue for a sump cleanout and it really should be a part of regular maintenance.

My sump is a 40 gallon tank (2014) never cleaned sand or rocks . Every time i move something in refug part ,water is really dirty .And then I run floss .Should i rip down and totally clean .Add new sand? My question is wouldn't this cause a new cycle? Seen some people that do not ?
If your nutrients are fine, leave it alone

That definitely will make the tank go into a cycle, every time you move the sand it will happen even if is very very small for you to notice it. I would stir very little a few times a month if you don’t want to vacuum

Bot587

NJRC Member
Agreed with all the above. Your sand in the sump contains Bacteria supporting your nitrogen cycle. Removing the sand on an established system will remove a load of this bacteria that will take time to come back.

if you absolutely have to clean it (large particulates sitting on top of sand) do it in sections, not all at once) I.e. clean 1/4 of it then 1 week later clean another 1/4 etc

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think i will leave it alone . Because ,I have no problems, Why invite them!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I Forgot to state no sand in my sump as I don't have a refugium so its easy to vaccum out debris.