• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

do I have enough light over my 29?

Hey, I have a 29g with a 150 watt MH pendant, do you think this is enough for mostly all soft corals and LPS? How about SPS? The tank is 30 X 12 X 18. Thanks..

Chris

Yes, I know that it covers 24" i figured that I would keep the low light corals on the side bottom. I think Blastos require less light if I have read correctly. Right now those are on the sides.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That should be fine, especially if you have actinic supplementation. 150w over 18" depth is plenty.

AdamPl http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&action=profile;u=1293 I believe had the exact same set up, and he grew multiple monti caps with it. I think it is just as important to keep dark areas in your tank unless you make sure that you pick creatures from shallow waters only.

As Phyl said, T5s would be important because you wouldn't want to keep your halide on all for more than 4-5 hours over that volume of water. But corals, in my limited experience, would need light for at least 8-9 hours a day.

If the halide is for vanity (you like the looks) then go for higher kelvin bulb, if it is for growth, go for a 6500K bulb.

yea i only have the hanging pendant over my 29 so there is no fixture which includes HO T5's. I have one of those coralife slimline normal output T5 fixtures which put out exactly 38 watts. would that be beneficial to add to the setup? I am just worried that it will shade some of the metal halide light. Right now I leave my pendant on for about 10 hours. Could that hurt my corals?

Well I use my MH sparingly ( and I am not saying that is the best way to go about it), so I wont be able to ask that question. Try to meet with a reefer who has a big tank 100G+. Odds are that he would have 2 or more MH on his tank. You could ask them about the lighting schedule.

Might also want to PM AdamPl ( I hope he doesn't mind my writing this) ...