• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do I have flatworms?

I was just looking at my tank and noticed these things. After a quick search, I think I may have flatworms. What have you guys done to rid your tanks of these guys, if they are indeed flatworms?
photo4_zpsb695c9fe.jpg

Flatworm exit can cause them to release toxins as they die. Depending on the amount in the tank....it may be too much and affect the corals. Never had a wrasse but it sounds a lot better.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I would love to get a wrasse, since I think it would be the safest option. I'm just not sure if a new addition is possible. I have eight fish in a 75. One is a total jerk (candy hogfish). I believe a wrasse would be bullied. I just finished siphoning a bunch of them out into a mesh sock. I think the plan is to keep siphoning them out as I see them. When I don't see anymore, I may try the flatworm exit, although I'm apprehensive about it...

Not to hijack the thread, but will a Melanarus wrasse work with a yellow head jaw fish. This wrasse is a beauty...

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Not to hijack the thread, but will a Melanarus wrasse work with a yellow head jaw fish. This wrasse is a beauty...

Yes, they are a very well tempered fish. Every tank should have one of these fish IMO. But they are sand dwellers so a sand bed is needed...

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Melanarus can get pretty big. I had one in my tank for several years but lost him about 2 months ago. Best wrasse Iv had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've tried a couple of doses of FWE in my fuge for planeria worms and they keep coming back. Maybe it isn't having effect on the eggs. If I'm not mistaken that appears to be what he has. I think I'm just going to get a melanarus or a six line wrasse and let him keep them in check.

I don't think they get too big. Mine is somewhere around 9-10 yrs and it about 4.5". And hasn't grown a bit in the few yrs I've had him.

I've been siphoning out flatworms for a few days now. I get about 30 a pop every time. After more thinking, I'm not willing to risk the tank by using flatworm exit. I picked up a six line today.
002_zps92c6e39a.jpg