• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Docs Nano Tank

Hey guys i am new to the club and new to the forum and figured since im a Nano Reefer this would be the place were i could get some good feed back and tips.
First let me start by saying i am new to salt water and reef keeping and i've lived and learned by trial and error, now i am not an expert and some of my methods others may cringe at but they have worked for me and i am always open to advice from other with more experience. My quote of the day is show me some one who says they know it all and ill show you someone that has tons to learn.

So about my tank:
i am running a 10 gallon standard tank
filtered by a off brand canister filter rated for 75 gallon tank (ebay buy and it was an awesome purchase)
HOB filter converted in to a fugi diy (also provides some extra water movement)
Off brand power head (ebay buy again ... rated at 850 gph) alittle to powerful though i want to upgrade to an MP 10 or RW-4 just don't have the money yet. wife keeps a tight chain on the cash
Standard LED viewing lights- Definitely plan on upgrading asap i had bought a light on Ebay ... it turned out to be falsely advertised dims LED lights that i had ever seen in fact i had lit my own farts that produced brighter light then that back in my childhood. I got my money back and i have my eyes on a Orbit Marine LED Pro light set hopefully in my near future.
Heater 100w (don't remember the brand or type of hand)
*** tanks 10 gallons + about 1 gallon or so in the entire system and filtration minus the displacement of the rocks and sand***
*** bought and emergency battery operated air pump for power outages has about 4-5 hr battery life but it feels cheaply made. Maybe someone knows of a more quality one out there?

Now for the stuff in the tank:
I have aprox 9 lbs of live rock but i want to add maybe 2 or 3 more lbs. (i just dont feel i have enough)
20 lbs of live sand
1 Tomato clown
1 Coral Beauty (extra small.. will eventually be re-homed if he grows to wear it looks uncomfortable)
1 Blue cleaner fish (sorry i dont honestly remember his species name)
1 black and white striped blemmy
1 watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair (they have been paired from the moment i put them in the tank)

inverts:
Blue linckia star
10 blue leg hermits
2 turbo snails
3 kirth snails
1 emerald crab
1 peppermint shrimp

*** i had a condy anemone that hosted the clown fish for about 4 months unfortunately it deflated on schedule and got sucked into the filter head survived but lost to many tenticals i tried my best to save him in a recovery tank and he fought the good fight for 2 weeks but in the end died from his wounds.

Corals: none yet but i really really want some just need to get the right light and circulation pattern and learn alot more about them before i make the leap.

To wrap it up like i said i am sure some people might cringe about the set up and the stock but to be honest the tank has never had a crash and is going on a 9 months. I have never had a fish die from an illness but have lost some to a power outage in the middle of the night and one to a fight with the filter. I keep a very good eye on the water quality and the filter making sure to remove waste before it becomes harmful and do weekly water changes 65% when i change things around in the tank or i start noticing issues and when things are going strong i just monitor the water conditions and do 30% to 50% every other week. what i have noticed is the tanks biological abilities do a great job handling most of the work and i hardly get high readings during testing.
So far i have learned a great deal and i cant wait to dive deeper into this awesome field.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Hey guys i am new to the club and new to the forum and figured since im a Nano Reefer this would be the place were i could get some good feed back and tips.
First let me start by saying i am new to salt water and reef keeping and i've lived and learned by trial and error, now i am not an expert and some of my methods others may cringe at but they have worked for me and i am always open to advice from other with more experience. My quote of the day is show me some one who says they know it all and ill show you someone that has tons to learn.

So about my tank:
i am running a 10 gallon standard tank
filtered by a off brand canister filter rated for 75 gallon tank (ebay buy and it was an awesome purchase)
HOB filter converted in to a fugi diy (also provides some extra water movement)
Off brand power head (ebay buy again ... rated at 850 gph) alittle to powerful though i want to upgrade to an MP 10 or RW-4 just don't have the money yet. wife keeps a tight chain on the cash
Standard LED viewing lights- Definitely plan on upgrading asap i had bought a light on Ebay ... it turned out to be falsely advertised dims LED lights that i had ever seen in fact i had lit my own farts that produced brighter light then that back in my childhood. I got my money back and i have my eyes on a Orbit Marine LED Pro light set hopefully in my near future.
Heater 100w (don't remember the brand or type of hand)
*** tanks 10 gallons + about 1 gallon or so in the entire system and filtration minus the displacement of the rocks and sand***
*** bought and emergency battery operated air pump for power outages has about 4-5 hr battery life but it feels cheaply made. Maybe someone knows of a more quality one out there?

Now for the stuff in the tank:
I have aprox 9 lbs of live rock but i want to add maybe 2 or 3 more lbs. (i just dont feel i have enough)
20 lbs of live sand
1 Tomato clown
1 Coral Beauty (extra small.. will eventually be re-homed if he grows to wear it looks uncomfortable)
1 Blue cleaner fish (sorry i dont honestly remember his species name)
1 black and white striped blemmy
1 watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair (they have been paired from the moment i put them in the tank)

inverts:
Blue linckia star
10 blue leg hermits
2 turbo snails
3 kirth snails
1 emerald crab
1 peppermint shrimp

*** i had a condy anemone that hosted the clown fish for about 4 months unfortunately it deflated on schedule and got sucked into the filter head survived but lost to many tenticals i tried my best to save him in a recovery tank and he fought the good fight for 2 weeks but in the end died from his wounds.

Corals: none yet but i really really want some just need to get the right light and circulation pattern and learn alot more about them before i make the leap.

To wrap it up like i said i am sure some people might cringe about the set up and the stock but to be honest the tank has never had a crash and is going on a 9 months. I have never had a fish die from an illness but have lost some to a power outage in the middle of the night and one to a fight with the filter. I keep a very good eye on the water quality and the filter making sure to remove waste before it becomes harmful and do weekly water changes 65% when i change things around in the tank or i start noticing issues and when things are going strong i just monitor the water conditions and do 30% to 50% every other week. what i have noticed is the tanks biological abilities do a great job handling most of the work and i hardly get high readings during testing.
So far i have learned a great deal and i cant wait to dive deeper into this awesome field.

Nice setup man. Sounds like it's coming along nicely.

Nice setup man. Sounds like it's coming along nicely.
Thank you its definitely been a learning experience but a fun one, and i cant help but feel i have alittle bit of luck on my side or my AP Marine Bio classes actually paid off lol. I cant wait to start coral but i gotta get some better lights

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Any plans to upgrade to a larger set up? Like maybe a 40 breeder?

Any plans to upgrade to a larger set up? Like maybe a 40 breeder?
Funny you shouldn't mention that I have a tank that is large and shallow it was a terrarium for a reptile but it's long been empty I think I did the gallon age math from the demensions and it's about 48 gallons or something it would make a perfect reef tank ... I am working on convincing the wife to let me convert it

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Funny you shouldn't mention that I have a tank that is large and shallow it was a terrarium for a reptile but it's long been empty I think I did the gallon age math from the demensions and it's about 48 gallons or something it would make a perfect reef tank ... I am working on convincing the wife to let me convert it
clean it and water test it 1st...then approach her with the idea

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Give her the tank on Valentine's Day! :love_heart: :rolleyes:

How about posting up some pictures?

clean it and water test it 1st...then approach her with the idea
I've been trying to warm her up to the idea most of the equipment I have ethire in current service or laying around could handle a 45 gallon so the biggest cost with the start up would be the live rock at 6.99 lb. Hmm also have a 55 gallon long that has never been used but I don't feel it would make a great reef tank cause it lacks depth

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I've been trying to warm her up to the idea most of the equipment I have ethire in current service or laying around could handle a 45 gallon so the biggest cost with the start up would be the live rock at 6.99 lb. Hmm also have a 55 gallon long that has never been used but I don't feel it would make a great reef tank cause it lacks depth
i have LR that i can give you for free...should be about 10 pounds+-....maybe that will sweeten the deal for her

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I can't figure out how to post themail here but I did put some up in the gallery last night of some of my tank after it was first set up and cycled

Are you visiting our site from a computer or phone? Are you going straight to our site or using third party app like Tapatalk?

If viewing our site from our website this is how you upload images:
* Click the "Upload a File" button
uploadbutton.PNG

* Find image
findimage.PNG

*Click "Thumbnail" or "Full Image" for the image you would like to add
add images.PNG

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
i have LR that i can give you for free...should be about 10 pounds+-....maybe that will sweeten the deal for her

If you need more than 10lbs I broke down my 54g tank (due to moving) and I have about 60+lbs of rock, of different shapes/sizes, you can choose from. The only catch is if you want to see what I have you need to come down near the LBI area and take a look at what I have before it gets blocked in my storage unit (so by this weekend would be the best). Once I put my tank in storage I don't plan on moving anything out to get to the rocks (which are currently in the back of my unit)