• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Docs New Tank

So this week i finally upgraded into something a little bigger a nice 40 gallon breeder tank, still keeping with in the nano range i guess but coming from a 10 gallon to a 40 feels like a huge upgrade when i look at all the tank space and room to build a system off of.
to start the lets talk set up
Tank : 40 gallon Breeder
Light Source: 24inch USA Current Marine Pro Led Light bar with Ramp Timer
Filtration: Off Brand 75 Gallon 3 stage Canister Running Chemi Pure Blue and a mix of my other favorite Media... I know people are screaming SUMP but i dont have one or the space yet and i do love my filter media mixes
Circulation : Off brand 850 Gph Power head (doesnt have power adjustments) looking to a Eco-tech Mp-10 or Jabeo R-4
Live Sand bed/ Currently 10 lbs of live rock soon to add another 30 lbs give or take when im done curing it.

Cycled 1 week20170208_183407_resized.jpg 20170208_183432_resized.jpg 20170208_183407_resized.jpg 20170208_183432_resized.jpg 20170210_162045_resized.jpg

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
BAH! You put sand and rocks in it! Now its going to start being a pain. Fortunately you're smart and don't have fish.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You might want to figure out a cover for that tank with cats. Ours stalk out tank but luckily it is pretty big so it is hard to get up there for them. They do really like the sump were we have a few fish right now. Have to shoo them away.

Finally all rocked in and ready to grow !
The live rock finished curing and has been in the tank a little over a week and the levels are all balanced out so I think it's time to start growing some coral with a little guidance from you guys I'm ready to give it a shot here are a few pictures20170304_175811.jpg 20170304_175032.jpg 20170304_175040.jpg 20170304_175050.jpg 20170304_175112.jpg 20170304_175747.jpg

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good Doc. I'm gonna say ur at ur limit with livestock.

That convict tang is going to get big on you. Also is that a coral catfish in there?

No coral cats I hear they aren't reef friendly and get massive. All that's in there currently is a cleaner wrasse , clown, Valenti puffer, convict and Picasso I'm aware of the Picasso and convicts size limitations and have arrangements made for them when they get bigger I honestly would prefer schools of small fish to big fish as my main focus on the tank is to add life with inverts and coral

Though when I went out today I saw and awesome bat fish and thought that would look nice on a tank one day but I really wanted a copper banded butterfly account was having a sale on them 14 bucks each but we're sold put when I got there and I wound up with the Convict tang

Convicts fine and eating well seems people are stressing about the convict he's a little over 2.5 inches he's got some time before he will need to be transfered said tank is 46 inch in length and 28 inch wide he's got space and he has a bigger tank to go to when it's time to move him