• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dominica Republic/Vacation Destination

Has anyone been to DR on vacation? My friends probably 4-5 of us all over 21 are looking to go to Punta Cana or some other place that is all inclusive and would be a fun time.

Any recommendations for travel agents or places to go would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

punta cana is great place however, if you looking for more fun and action :), go to samana which is not far from punta cana

I have only been there for 1 day on a cruise so I can't say much. However, I do have a great travel agent recommendation. Her name is Denise d4travel@optonline.net
I've booked our last 2 trips with her. Her price was better than anything else I could find on line and she is wonderful to work with.

Jamaica was a great time when I went. The place is packed during the busy season, we went during the "rainy" season, which was cheaper and more quiet. I was with my gf and another couple. BTW the rainy season is an hr long shower once a day. Great food, cheap beer, and miles of beach. We stayed in Negril, youre not too far from alot of things, although if you need to get anywhere else on the island it takes hrs, the roads are pretty crappy.
Also Atlantis was really nice too, but pricey. Ive heard you can get rooms at the comfort inn next door, which Atlantis owns, and you get full access to the whole hotel. You cant get into their water park or the beaches if youre staying somewhere else.

Olivier said:
punta cana is great place however, if you looking for more fun and action :), go to samana which is not far from punta cana

I agree, Punta Cana is very boring. This is a great place to travel if you are on a tight budget. You can just relax on a beach. You will get the best hotel for your money. There is absolutely nothing to do. Jamaica, Belize, Antigua ... these are my favorite destinations.
I had a very good experience with www.bookit.com.

I dont think ill ever go back to the dominican.

They used reef rock to build most of their structures. I have never seen so much fossilized animals in the paths and walkways all over my resort. They told me thats what they do.

Been there food is horrific. I ended up with an intestinal parasite from Punta and swore I would never go back!

I have also been to la romana in the DR and i thought it was much nicer but not much night life.

If your looking for a good all inclusive vacation on a budget go to cabo. I have been to most of island including pacific islands and if I'm looking for a fun filled place with lots of nightlife I go to cabo.

Trust me when I tell you to stay away from puntacana

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow, all this negative about the Dominican, too bad the OP is asking about the Domica Republic.