• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Donate to school tank: East Side H.S. Newark, NJ 07105

Wow, I just wrote this huge post, went to post it and was asked to log in again...and now it's gone...wow.

Sooo,
Some of you may know, most of you probably not...But I am a science teacher in Newark NJ. I teach comprehensive science and Earth Science to 75 students aged 14-18 at East Side H.S. in Newarks Ironbound.

For these students (all of them and specifically the Earth Science students) I have set up a marine tank to instill in them qualities of environmental stewards, and of course the course objectives mandated by the district. Using the tank and our oceans as a loose guide we student geology, geography, biology, chemistry, and ethics while covering our curriculum. We give it a marine science spin.

With the tank we have hopes to start a propagation project as well as a pretty display tank.
So far we have:
20g tank, salt, coralife 65w PC light, MJ12 power head(it was all I had!), thermometer, blue mushrooms, clove polyps, frogspawn, 3 small/medium LR, 20lbs of crushed coral subs., chaeto, mangroves, small urchin, heater, hydrometer.

This is all thanks to individual donations from folks/vendors on these sites:
donorschoose.org, reeferscafe.com, manhattanreefs.com, reefcleaners.com, and myself.

For the last bit we need...I've decided to come to more local folks here at NJREEFERS.
We are in need of:
1. Timers for our lights (we have 1wk vacation coming up soon and no one will be able to come in!!)
2. Egg crate (for prop. exp. ~12inches)
3. Leather/Sinu/easy to frag and grow coral (we will cut this up into 25 peices and put it on the egg crate and document growth)
4. Rubblerock/frag holders (to put our 25 small peices of coral into the eggcrate)
5. 1 Clown fish (any type, the kids have seen nemo and are just 'dying' to have one)
6. 1 Cleaner shrimp (any type, mainly just want to show molting)
7. Snails other than stomatellas (we have crushed coral subs.)
8. Marine test kits (ours just finished, we use about 25 tests per week. I break the classes into 4-5 groups and they all test!)

If you would like to donate anything let me know! I live in N. Newark 07104, and the school is 15mins away in the Ironbound at 07105. I will be updating this thread hopefully monday with some pics we took some weeks ago setting it up. I'm hoping to have my camera cable by then. We'll also be sending donors thank you notes and updated pictures for the inkind donation if you'd like it for tax purposes.

We'd appreciate anything you think we could/should use. Also, if you'd like to donate time/videos you have. I can talk to you about coming in and chatting with us in April.
Feel free to pm/reply with any questions/comments/concerns

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We're on vacation right now but definitely want to help out. I know we have a few things we can donate. As soon as we get back, I'll let you know what we have and then we can work out the details to get it to you.

This is a great cause and represents what NJRC stands for. I hope you get everything you need.

{That stinks about losing the long post. I hate when that happens!}

i could donate a few kenya tree frags....they are easy to attach
to rubble rock/fragplugs...and they grow like weeds... we could meet at the next meeting if your interested.
happy reefing....al

I would love to help, but not sure you would let me. Had I not moved to Hillside I would have been a West Side kid! ;D

I have a timer and some rubble. How about a bucket of salt?

Depending on the time and day, I would like to come in and help if possible.

I don't have any leathers to part with but I have green star polyps, kenya trees and a frilly mushroom if you would like.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a spaghetti leather, snails (turbos) and if I can get it, I may possibly have a cleaner shrimp (that's a BIG maybe though)

((Whenver I type a long response to something, I always select all the type and copy it...this way you don't have to retype everything if that happens))

We would be more than happy to donate some sort of master test kit. Just contact us at the store and I can get it for you by mon next wk if your interested.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I have some spare eggcrate lying around and I also have some rubble rock and some frag discs (some with the plugs and some without). You could try growing some on all three and document if there is a difference in growth depending on what it is grown on. :D

Thats a pretty cool cause, I attended that school!!! I still remember the weekly metal detectors searches, multiple fire-drills per day, intentionaly set fires inside school, students busting out the rear magnetic doors.... oh the memories...

I hear that it has been cleaned out somewhat since '96. The teachers there were really good to me.

Wow, thanks for the great and fast response folks!
I'll be pm'ing an individual response to each of you by tomorrow morning. We're doing HSPA testing this week and it's OMG CRAZY!

Btw, East Side is much better now. I just started this school year, but we've had maybe...10 drills started by students, some fights, etc but nothing that would make me feel like not going in to school. It's actually the top comprehensive school in the district in certain stats.

Once again, thank you all for your willingness to help!
See you in a bit!

Is that Joe Clarks school? I remember that from the movie... "They Call Me Crazy Joe" is that THE school from the movie??

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a few big rocks with lots of zoos on them. Maybe a few other items lyeing around too.

reefitup said:
Is that Joe Clarks school? I remember that from the movie... "They Call Me Crazy Joe" is that THE school from the movie??

I think thats East Side High in Paterson.

Free Mr. Clark!!

Did you get a clown fish yet ,we dont want a small rbta to be all alone in there ;D, after all this is what the club is all about ,lmk when you want to pick it up .

Yes, I do have internet access! I was excited about that when I arrived here.

Hm, the students aren't allowed to touch the animals. I know students often do things they aren't supposed to do, but usually they are only allowed to feed and do water testing/cleaning, and then we use gloves (regular lab gloves).
I didn't think about toxicity, but I'll make sure they are aware that it is a possible danger. We had to have that discussion about the urchin we were given too.

Sweet camz!!! Lol, They've been asking for that since September. Finding Nemo is all they cared about.

We're collecting all of the rubble in its cured/uncured states and will try to make a nice rockwork structure out of them.
I have 75% of a tube of IC Gel left, but I doubt that'll be enough. Any one have any putty/glue? I haven't seen the rubble peices just yet, but we're getting some from 3 different people here!

Also!
I will be attending this weekends club meet! Hopefully one of the kids will let me borrow their camera....

I was curious as to what happens during the summer break, is the tank assessable over that period, do you break it down or move it home and set up again in Sept.? I only ask because you mentioned that over the Easter Vacation you needed timers, also will anyone be able to top off over this period?