• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Doser Questions

So I'm going to buy a doser. Originally was just looking for like a cheap doser to get by (single head jebao). Then started thinking I could ante up and just get something better that I'd use for a longer time (kamoer x1 pro2). Now I'm wondering if it even matters since doser technology doesn't run a large gap between the cheapest and most expensive dosers (jebao 3.4 4 head wifi).

Though I do remember watching a video once where they said some of these dosers are not that accurate because of the type of head they use. I think some heads use pressure and others use gears? But I can't remember and I'm not sure if that was accurate. Any insight on this?

someone told me once they had a major issue when their Apex failed because they had nearly every Apex attachment. that story stuck with me and makes a lot of sense. even if Apex fixed the head unit for you in a couple of days, your still stuck without a controller for all of these other things.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I've used my eshopps dual dpser for years and grew sps all over the place. used it on my 50g, used it on my 200g. now I may use it to dose RS AB+. never failed me once

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have to say if you have apex the dos is the best doser.
What you can do with the apex is worth the extra $.
I would also consider what you are going to dose.
If you are dosing kalk I would go cheap.
If I was dosing 2 part then I would get something better.
The dos works really well and it’s very accurate.

Last edited:

horseplay

NJRC Member
I have used BRS dosers for years with no problem. You can get them on sale for about $70 each. Of course you need a timer. I have an apex jr which control it. Nowadays you can get a smart plug for < $10 and you can program it easily.

With the apex it's just easier to check what's going on. And these things last years.

With reef equipment, I go with simple and tried and true. Any mishap you lose a lot more money in livestock than what you've saved in equipment.

it all depends on what do you want to dose, I have a jebao Wi-Fi and I use it to dose 2 part, so if is 3mil off out of 120mil a day that is what I dose is not too bad and in a 140g of water the change will be minimum, I personally calibrate my Jebao Doser once a month and what I do is just dose x amount manually of the 2 parts, Jebao is cheap and they came a long way from the old days where they only lasted 6 months, now if you need spot on accuracy well you might need to invest some extra money

john90009

NJRC Member
I like the kamoer dosing pump. It was a nice upgrade from my old bubble magnus. I’m not sure if all the new ones have this feature but you can clibarate how much ml is distributed over ten seconds so as a pump matures you can calibrate it to be accurate

john90009

NJRC Member
Be cautious however they are very firm when they say it’s only 2.4ghz wifi compatable. If you have newer wifi which is a mesh network and runs 5 and 2.4 together with the same name you will have issues.

john90009

NJRC Member
I had the multi head bubble magnus for over 7 years and never had the display go bad. I also keep it away from moisture which is prob what they didn’t do