• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dowflake

Be very carefull with Dowflake. It is not suitable anymore (I never thought it was) for use in "Two Part Solutions" or aquarium use!!!

From DOW Chemicals website (http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiterat...cium/pdfs/noreg/173-01748.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc):
"Historically, Dow’s calcium chloride has typically contained less than 100 parts per million (ppm) of bromide. However, due to process changes, calcium chloride manufactured by Dow in 2007 and beyond is expected to contain between 6000 and 8500 ppm
bromide."

This applies to all grades of DowFlake.

The reason behind this is that DOW use to be a large manufacture of Bromide and Bromine products. DOW has stopped the production of Bromide/Bromine. They use to get this by extracting it form their CaCl2, thus leaving DowFlake low in Br. Since they are no longer in the business, so to speak, making Bromide or Bromine, the CaCl2 will now have very high levels.

Bromide is a natural minor component of seawater @ 65 ppm.

BTW, Bromide is no different than chloride, for the most part, it is quite different than chloride if one has high Redox levels (using ozone,UV or other oxidizers). Bromide is 50,000 x more thermodynamically available than chloride, when it comes to oxidation, with ozone and produces a bleach. It is the production of hypobromous acid and bromate produced by ozone for the reason behind treating all ozonated water with GAC.

CaCl2 via the Limestone method is the purest of CaCl2. I've never thought DowFlake was a good idea (because of the process used) and had conversations with Randy (RC) about this. I think his testing of the product left a lot to be desired. Using DOW products now with the high Bromide (very toxic levels) is not going to be good at all. Besides the Bromide issue it will also be high in ammonia (due to the new process being used).

I've moved this topic to the General Discussion Forum as I know Aquatic Obsessions does not carry Dowflake and I think there is some pretty important info here for those of us who use Randy's Two Part Formula. (I'm a user! ;D)

Thanks Carlo for the heads up.

Here is a link to the current discussion in the Reef Central Chemistry Forum. DOWFLAKE

Sorry to steal your thread Mantis! :eek:

I swiped much of the info from that thread and "paraphrased" it.

It's where I got the head's up on the Bromide part but I've never liked DowFlake anyway.

Carlo

What about the Dowflake substitutions like Peladow and there was another one. KVC or KCV or something like that. What should one use now?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As long as the lots are prior to 2007 you're ok with the existing DOW flake, by the conversations I've read on it. Buy it up now, before the 2007 lots hit the street some time this fall/winter.

Not sure what the DIY market will do after that. Hopefully before we need to know "they" will have figured out a solution!!

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I read where Two Part Solutions has a new supplier without the Bromide.

Thanks for this info. I dont read the Chem forum as much as I used to. I'm still working on the first bag I got over 2 years ago. Great Stuff.