• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Drilled tanks are quieter then HOB overflows right?

Hey guys, At first i was sure i wouldn't have a sump on this 55g but the longer i wait i start to think about getting it drilled (if i can) But i wanna ask does anyone have a drilled tank in their bedroom? because my 20g is so loud i turn off the return pump just so i can talk... I know most of the noise is coming from the hob overflow before it goes down the PVC it sounds like a waterfall... but anyways i just wanted to ask how loud your drilled overflow/sump is.

Thanks,

Nick

Either can be loud or quiet. It's all a matter of getting the flow correctly. Most but not all the time you simply need to cut back on the flow a little bit. IMHO, People in general tend to run to much flow this way and end up with lots of noise.

Carlo

It is the type of setup and the equipment also. There are loud pumps and quiet ones (different prices of course). Also, you can end up with more noise by doing the plumbing incorrect. Overall, you can end up with a very quiet system if you set it up right.

i'm guessing i have too much flow just because it's rated for so many gallons doesn't mean it's going to be quiet at that much flow. huh?
Does it matter what i use for plumbing? I read somewhere that flex PVC is better then hard PVC.

saltwater4life said:
i'm guessing i have too much flow just because it's rated for so many gallons doesn't mean it's going to be quiet at that much flow. huh?
Does it matter what i use for plumbing? I read somewhere that flex PVC is better then hard PVC.

I like the flex because you don't loose as much head and it is just easier!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've found the more flow I put through my overflow the quieter it is. What type of HOB is it?

It's a the CPR brand
the E baffle is like a waterfall coming over.
overflow_box_cpr_dimension.jpg

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think you can put a stockman standpipe in those...I may be wrong though, I am only familiar with the U-Tube type HOB overflows.

ReefDrumz said:
I've found the more flow I put through my overflow the quieter it is. What type of HOB is it?

Wow interesting I've found just the opposite on a RR/drilled setup....dang I'll have to recant my post on that other topic now.

oh wait - I just re-read your post...maybe the experience is different because yours is HOB and mine isn't? interesting nevertheless.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, i should have said "when I used to have HOB, I only had a U-Tube"

Right now I have an external overflow on my 225 and the megaflow in my 90g.

and yes, I was having some problems with the sound of the water in my external so I took out the Durso's, added standpipes (2 - 1.5" PVC pipe sections) and cranked the flow. It's pretty quiet considering I have about 1800 gph going through it.

You can get noise from either to much or not enough flow. Each design is a little bit different and requires a little different flow to find the sweet spot.

It's usually a lot easier to first try restricting the flow since you can do that with the same pump you already have so I'd normally recommend trying that first (cheap to do). Once you've eliminated the cheap route you really have no choice but to try a higher flow.

The CPR HOB type typically like a slower flow and quiet down quite a bit once you reduce the flow. But then depending on the "pipe" you use could end up with a different sound as you shift the noise. But it's usually a lot quieter then the "waterfall".

If/when you try to restrict/slow down the flow go slow to give the tank a chance to "normalize" levels before judging the sound. Just keep trying it a little at a time.

Hopefully you'll get lucky and only need to throw a valve in line and not need a bigger pump. If you find this not to be the case, ask here in the forums if anyone has a bigger pump you can borrow for a day to try higher flows. No sense buying a pump if someone has a loaner you can try.

Carlo

Thanks Carlo i guess i can see about lower the flow. that's probably the case i believe the overflow max 780gph and the pump is 800gph or something like that plus head-loss

try putting a stockman or durso pipe in the back, after baffle 'E'. Then put your pump on some old mouse pads to cut down the vibration. Also connect the pump to the sump with vinyl tube, it cuts down the transfer of the pump vibration to the sump. To quiet the sound of the water dumping into the sump try zip tying a plastic bag to the pipe and then cut a hole in the bottom.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We stuff a towel over the top of the overflow box and that dampens most of the noise. We don't push it in far enough to get wet, but rather just sit it in the top of the box.

thumb_540_28_06_07_9_42_47.gif

Noise from the overflows is exclusively the function of the acoustic properties of the pipe that brings the water down to the sump, and the height difference between the top edge of the overflow and the sustainable water level in it. It does not matter if the overflow is internal or external. Assuming that the return pipe from the overflow will be submerged in the sump and therefore eliminating any splashing noise from there, there are two sources of noise in the overflow. First, if there is a big drop of water from the top edge of the overflow to the sustainable level of the water inside the overflow, there will be a small noise, like that of water cascades. Second, water rushing down the pipe from the overflow, will generate a large gurgling and sucking noise (usually described as after flushing the toilet).

The cascading noise is easily removed with water level raisers - pipe with one (lower) end plugged in the overflow's hole and the upper end just a bit below the height of the tank water's surface. Not too high, since you MUST have water level in the overflow below the level in the tank.

The bigger and less pleasing noise can be eliminated by blocking the sound waves coming from the pipe's opening (pipe connecting the overflow with the sump). Durso pipe is an excellent solution - it acts both as a water raiser and as a sound blocker (pipe opening and water intake is submersed so the sound is blocked by water, and only small hole is created at the top so that syphoning effect is eliminated and the water level in the overflow is stable. Or you can just use a big towel or some other sound dampener like Phyllis did and save 60$ per overflow ;D

Here is the info on the different standpipe designs used to quiet the gurgling noise. The noise is generated by the air trying to escape the pipe as the water goes down.

Durso Standpipe
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

Stockman Standpipe
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239116

Hofer Gurgle Buster
http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/HGB_construction.html

Because all of these designs create a siphon effect by limiting the amount of air going up. They usually create air bubbles in your sump. Some people put baffles in their sumps or build a "bubble tower" to try and eliminate the air bubbles.

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/a/sump_model_a.html

Don't bother gluing the pieces together it's not necessary.

I'm curious which of the methods you guys prefer overall.

I myself like the Durso Standpipe the best. I'm not saying it's any better then the others but for me I can adjust it pretty quickly to accommodate the flow and reduce noise. I have more trouble with the Stockman and have never tried the Hofer.

I typically use all PVC pipe and not the ribbed "pool" style hoses which I think could change the dynamics and noise factor.

Anybody else try multiple different styles? Which do you like best and why?

Thanks,
Carlo