• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dry pH Probe

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Does anyone know if it's possible to save/rejuvenate a pH probe that has dried out?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd try reaching out to the manufacturer. I think in most cases it isn't worth the cost/effort, but it would be interesting to find out from the horses mouth.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Maybe someone can do this very, very, very, bad boy a favor and post the question in Neptune's forum on RC. I'd do it myself but..........I can't. :(

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Phyl....

It's been in RO/DI water for a day now. I'll wait a couple more and see if it will calibrate. Last night it was stuck at 6.5 and wouldn't move when I put it in the calibration solutions.

Hoping for the best.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here's another. This one says 48 hours, but the other said maybe a week. Hopefully it will come around

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Good...

So tomorrow night I will try it out. I still have the cal solution sitting in shot glasses so it will be a quick check. If I still get nothing, I'll let it go the week and give it one more shot.

RichT said:
Can the regular Pinpoint or Neptune probes be opened and refilled?
good question, i have a milwalkee that is not see-thru like my lab grade probe, i think i will crack it open and see if i can refill it and re-seal it. it is due to be replaced, instead i will make it a sacrificial lamb. i wouldnt trust it as your main source of ph determination if it is messed with like that.

I also have an extech ph meter, the directions say "Since the EC500 does not have a refillable reference electrolyte chamber, it is important not to soak the electrode in the above solutions for more than the recommended
times. To do so may cause a reference potential shift, which will cause degradation in
performance or failure." r/o was one of the listed solutions. also it says "Before the first use or after storage, soak the electrode in tap water or pH 4 buffer solution for about 10 minutes"

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
RichT said:
So tomorrow night I will try it out. I still have the cal solution sitting in shot glasses so it will be a quick check. If I still get nothing, I'll let it go the week and give it one more shot.

Throw the calibration fluid out. Once exposed to air, it degrades quickly - usually in less than a few hours. The result will be a probe that reads artificially low.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK...
I'll just be looking for movement in the reading at this point. Just checked it and it's still stuck. I think it's a goner.

Put the probe in lemon juice for a few days, then rinse in ro/di. If it is a standard probe, it can NOT be refilled. You can store your probe tips in lemon juice for any duration.