• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dwarf angels

Good afternoon all from late season snowy jersey. I’m debating which fish to add last to my system and I’d like a dwarf angel. 40 gallon, zoas and lps only, First fish was a royal gramma and second was a neon dottyback. The third and final fish has to be able to hold its own against the dotty but there is plenty of hiding spots. I have a couple fish in mind but I need to hear from real people not reading online fish facts. Who has kept dwarfs with coral, i know the success is low with sps but who has successfully kept dwarfs with lps and which species....and if not what fish do you think should be my last one in the tank. Thanks all

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I have kept a flame angel in my 54 with a mix reef and I currently have a coral beauty in my 36 mix reef. Both leave my corals alone but that my expereince with them. If you want to go drawf I would say flame (I like them better than the coral beauty) but make sure you have a bakcup plan if they start nipping corals. I keep my fish well feed so that help but is no sure thing

I have 5 dwarf angels in my tank. I have a mix of everything from zoas,sps,Monty’s,frogspawn,mushrooms,anemones,Acans etc. I am a firm believer in heavy feeding. I also have a large tank 300+G with a big skimmer so I can afford to overfeed. Never had a problem with them picking on coral...

All dwarf angels will pick at zoas and lps. I would not add one unless you are looking to treat the fish with expensive dinner :)
Yes if you read about them it will say that, but from actually talking to people I’m finding many have had success.... it’s a good sized fish for a 40 with my current stock which is why I’m hoping it could work

Last edited:

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I had a flame angel in my 29 gallon for 2 years before moving it to my 90g where it lived for another year before dying to an ich outbreak. It never nipped at anything.

I just added a coral beauty to my 90g last week and so far have had no issues with any corals, and I have a little bit of everything in there.

in my experience they're pretty reef safe...

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Good afternoon all from late season snowy jersey. I’m debating which fish to add last to my system and I’d like a dwarf angel. 40 gallon, zoas and lps only, First fish was a royal gramma and second was a neon dottyback. The third and final fish has to be able to hold its own against the dotty but there is plenty of hiding spots. I have a couple fish in mind but I need to hear from real people not reading online fish facts. Who has kept dwarfs with coral, i know the success is low with sps but who has successfully kept dwarfs with lps and which species....and if not what fish do you think should be my last one in the tank. Thanks all

Dwarf angels and softies is a NO go dude... from personal . experience.... especially flame

I feel like most people have had no issues with them, beautiful fish but not sure if the beauty makes it worth possibly having to destroy the tank catching one if it does eat coral. Probably get a wrasse o_O