• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

eco vortech pumps

hi there, new at this site and new to reefs, just started our reef about 4 weeks ago, ha :) :) :)ve a 70 gallon oceanic tech aquarium. was recommened that it could use move movement and to get the eco vortech as opposed to others, any thoughts opinions would help. right now the only movement comes from the filter. thanks look forward to hearing from you folks. this looks like a great site. :)

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I use the Vortech and wouldn't use any other. Although the only other powerhead I've used was the maxi-jet 1200's so my opinion is somewhat slanted.
HTH

C

concept3

vortechs are nice, so are the tunzes.

pros and cons on both:
cons: both expensive!

con vortech: flat on one panel, non moveable left right, angled, etc, bearing needs to be replaced eventually.
pro tunze: universal brackets for the tunzes work better in terms of flexibility, cheaper too

pro vortech: non-intrusive design. isn't too huge in the tank. no heat whatsoever in the tank. no electrical current in tank itself.
con tunze (6000 series): they are HUGE in the tank, electrical cord in tank (minimal voltage)

the smaller nano streams are REALLY nice... the controllable ones are not out yet, I'm waiting for those :)

I ditto RichT's and Concept's thoughts. Although I'm considering looking into a wavebox. They just seem to produce more natural flow.Maybe if EcoTech would come out with their controller I'll consider that.

Marcelo -

What kinds of coral are you planning on keeping? Do you want varying flow?

If you're keeping corals that like more moderate flow, like frogspawns and hammers, look at tunze nano streams and the hydor koralia.

i have just added a couple vortechs.. they are nice.. but i like the ability to control them with a wavemaker, so Tunzes still have the upper hand in that.. Also Tunzes can angle and Vortechs can't...

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'll put a pitch in for the Hydor Koralia #4 pumps (1200 GPH). Quiet, minimal heat transfer, only 8.5 watts of power. (Not controllable)

I am having a hard time justifying my Tunze Stream 6000

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a vortec on one side of my 6 foot long tank and a Hydor #4 on the other. The difference in flow is minimal. So you decide, $350 or $50.

Koralia vs vortech! WOW!

You could buy 2 koralia AND the Seio controller for the same price (actually less) than the vortech.

My decision has been made! :)

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Absinthe. I think this group buy ends April 15. Once you become a member, you'll have access to all this and other group buy info.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Additionally, there are no shipping charges and you'll have access to the carbon, phosban, reactors buys as well.