• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Eco5ech vs AI Lights

I've been out of the game for quite a while. Last real tank I had, I was running 3x250w Metal Halides. I'm ordering an Innovative Marine 50 Gallon Lagoon. Trying to decide whether to go with AI lights or Ecotech. I currently have an AI 16HD over my small horrible 10 gallon. Been fine, but wondering if the Radions are a better choice. Thoughts?

Rueric

NJRC Member
I’ve had the ai primes (2) over a 32g Fluval flex
It wasn’t able to give me higher par than 180 at the top of my water line.
I went with eco tech xr30s for my reefer 350 and getting much better spread/par

Radions are the gold standard, ai blades are new but if they are proven to last will almost definitely replace the prime as the mid tier king. Kessil a bit over priced but results, color and reliability can't be argued

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
All led lights will grow coral. $100 Amazon light
600 Neptune light or 1,000 radion lights.

Just like cars you can drive a Honda civic to work or
A 250k Lamborghini they will all get you to where you’re going.
Buy what you like, we are talking about a led bulb.
I think this hobby spend too much time and money on lights

I’ve had the ai primes (2) over a 32g Fluval flex
It wasn’t able to give me higher par than 180 at the top of my water line.
I went with eco tech xr30s for my reefer 350 and getting much better spread/par

Have had AIs, Radions, Kessils, Red Sea LEDs. AI and Ecotech are the same company. Like Amado said, all these LEDs as well as cheap black box ones can grow corals. What you’re paying more for is often the app interface as well as compatibility with other products within their ecosystem (I.e. pumps).

Ecotech seems to have the nicest interface and they have pretty good customer service as well. But they’re pretty expensive and the comparable light from AI normally goes for less.

Comparing AI Primes to Ecotech XR30s is not a fair comparison in size or price (about 4x). Ecotech doesn’t even make a product that small. AI Hydra 64HDs would be the equivalent product to XR30s. At that level, the XR30s are about 1/3 more expensive than the Hydra 64HDs.