• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Egg bound seahorse help

I have a female erectus for 10 + months that has become bloated and stopped eating.

She look healthy , hitched and breathing , but seems extra fat but and i know she turning away food and not eating .. and she never turns away food , so i know theres a problem.

I'm in search of a male for her.
I'm pretty sure shes become egg bound , hanging on waiting for a male.

I read that she should eventually drop the eggs ... but shes not eating and that worries me.

I read that they absorb the eggs , maybe that's what shes living off of?

could that be true?

Any suggestions to help her would be greatly appreciated : )

Thanks so much for your time

Jenn

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jenn, sorry to hear you are having issues with this female. I'm not sure it is an egg bound situation as that very rarely happens. Does she float or sink when she unhitches? If she floats then she is suffering from internal gas bubble disease, if she sinks then she is suffering from fluid retention. Treatment for both is the same but requires a prescription medication called Diamox (acetizolamide).

Also I am gonna ask you to answer the questions in this link:http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showtopic=41771.

Please answer them as fully as you can and give me the actual numbers for your water parameters. I will be off line til later tonight and out of town until Sunday afternoon. I will have net access so I can check this thread.

I'm sorry to say that I lost her today
She had gone to sleep :(
Maybe it was old age or loneliness.
either way , I'll miss her : (

I'm gona run a diatom filter on the tank tonight.

I don't have time right now to go though and answer all those questions for you, as right now that won't help me now anyway...
but I still have questions and concerns as to why this may have happened ,
so I will try to do that and see if there was something in my set up I can change.

Thanks everyone

Jenn