• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Electric bill

I don't think the tanks are as bad as that. We have two a FW 55G and the 24G AP. Both have florescent lights, total of 5 pumps/filters two heaters and my total electric during the winter is roughly 100 dollars. I think MH lighting is out for me. T5 or LED step right up. Chillers I would think would be like a mini fridge right?

OK so who's going to start testing these:

Energy Miser
FE-IIIB-200W
200 Watt - 10,000 Lumens
Incandescent Equal: 600 Watts
Full Spectrum - 5000K Click Here
8,000 Life Hours
12 Month Warranty
Mogul Base

http://www.1000bulbs.com/150-Watt-Compact-Fluorscent/33999/

FC85-FEIIB85W50-600x.jpg

or these ..... those bills sounds crazy

solaris_home_image.jpg

Well I have electric heat, my wife asked why would the bill go up I said the price of crude oil she looked at me and said "WHAT DOES OIL HAVE TO DO WITH MY ELECTRIC" well just goes to show you if I want a fish, coral or some off the wall piece of equipment i think I can finagal my way to it. anyway I also have some family staying with me a while but they said we used less electricity this year then last didnt know if it was that. Doesn't help my son thinks he needs his heat on 90 for real. Not really to worried about the bill, what Bobb wants Bobb gets ;D

my highest bill i ever got was just over $1,200.00. Thats AC, in ground pool, multiple fish tanks, 2000 gal pond and alot of people in the house. And thats with oil hot water heat!

This past electric bill was down to $600.  In the summer it is over a thousand dollars per month, close to $1,200.  I disconnected the 2hp chiller and a few pumps, 7 powerheads, so I am excited to see what the electric bill will be this summer.  We never turn the AC on in the summer.  It hasn't been on in two years.  The pool takes a bunch of electric, but I know the greenhouse is the sucker.
  I even let my tanks temperature range swing into the wild extremes, in the winter my tanks go down to 73 degrees, in the summer they go up to 83 degrees.  THat is a 10 degreee swing.  I never saw it swing more than 6 degrees in 24hrs. 
Yea, it is a bummer to have a big electric bill.  We even have a gas hot water heater, a gas dryer, a gas stove, gas heat.  I know that the electric bill is my fault.  My adiction.
Oh yea, I have a koi pond that runs 24/7 even in the winter.

What do you think about this 12 watt full spectrum LED bulb. Is this something that could be placed over a small frag tank with maybe an actinic t5. 5000k full spectrum. Screw in type bulb.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/PAR-38-LED-Light-Bulbs/34844/

Manufacturer: WDM Lighting
Manufacturer's Part #: 12WP385K
LED PAR38
Featuring High Power LEDs by Cree
LED Color: White
Dimmable
5000K Full Spectrum Click Here
Life Hours: 50,000
Beam Angle: 30 Degrees
Number of LEDs: 12
Overall Length (MOL): 4.25 in.
Overall Diameter: 4.75 in.
Aluminum Housing
LED PAR38 Spec Sheet

For some reason I really didn't notice a big difference in my electric bill by switching over form MH to the SOLARIS. However, I Will defiantly not need a chiller with this light that's for sure. My electric bill is @ 100 a month and I hope to keep it there...

wow those are some crazy high bills, now i dont feel too bad about my 90 dollar bill which about 30 is from my tank.

i was thinking about adding a calcium reactor but now i think i will just stick with my 5 gallon bucket of limewater dripping and not add any more sps..

My electric this month was $350 ... with 6 computers always running ... I sleep with my TV on.

I have my 120 with 2/250wMHs 4 T5's .. my biocube, my 58gallon Frag tank with 1/150wMH.

I have tons of stuff running all day. 6 people live in my house and there is always someone home watching TV or playing PS3.

I don't think that's bad at all. I guess i'll have to wait till the air goes on next month.

MikeNapoli said:
My electric this month was $350 ... with 6 computers always running ... I sleep with my TV on.

I have my 120 with 2/250wMHs 4 T5's .. my biocube, my 58gallon Frag tank with 1/150wMH.

I have tons of stuff running all day. 6 people live in my house and there is always someone home watching TV or playing PS3.

I don't think that's bad at all. I guess i'll have to wait till the air goes on next month.

I would worry more about all the electric fields in your house ;) make sure you don't start glowing.