• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ELEGANCE CORAL

would not post hear but feel its urgent ,Sorry to say my elegance seems to have taken a turn for the worst, the tips are short and color does not look good . not as full as its been in the past weeks. I have heard that they are hard to keep but it was good for almost a month before it seems to have gone bad. water tests look ok , any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks Chuck P.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't keep elegance, but the basic questions would be what kind of light is it in (watts, direct/indirect, type)? What kind of flow (heavy/medium/light)? Do you feed it? Are any of your animals bothering it? Does the flesh look in tact?

Hopefully once you answer these questions someone who has one can guide you from there. Good luck!

Thanks Phyl for the answer. I purchased it from OG II and have no complaints about them its a great place. Gary had it under 250 watt mh, the same fixture I have and even the same k rated bulbs although they may have been a different brand. it was in the same position in there tank in direct lighting on the sand bed. I do feed it once a week or so although I realize it does not need to be feed. I have done my best to check it day and night for things bothering it and have not seen anything bothering it yet . I moved it this morning to indirect light in hopes it will improve.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If there is too much flow on LPS they can start to lose some of their flesh on the side the flow is coming from. Also, there has been some new elegance coral that is being pulled from the deeper water as they have farmed a lot of the shallower specimens so it might actually need lower light. I do not keep them, but I hope this helps.

It does help I have done just that put it under a shelf of rock to shade it a bit and lessened the flow in that area , I have my fingers crossed. Thanks

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I have had mine for 3 months now and every so often it closes up for a day or 2. It is already in a moderate light, low flow area so I leave it alone and wait. Usually in 2 days it's open and better than ever. Not sure why this happens but over time the coral seems to be progressing, so I'm not making any changes.

My approach to fleshy LPS types of coral when they appear stressed after having been in the tank for a while is to not do anything immediately if the flesh is intact and nothing appears to be attacking them. I know that can be hard to do, but moving them too fast often causes more problems than it solves.

I check parameters and address any water issues through water changes and fresh carbon. If the problem lasts more than a day or two, or if the coral seems to be getting worse over time, then I'll consider moving it and other treatments if necessary.

ok so if im not mistaken the fact that i put in the lower light and flow is ok ??? So now i wait ?? thanks for your help blang3

Chuck, what type of elegance is it, Indo or Aussie? Indos have a very bad rep these days and an extremely high death rate. They just seem to wither away, for no apparent reason.

You said its tentacles haven't been extended as long as before. What about the oral disk? Does it appear swollen at all? (If it does, then that's an alarming sign.)

Below is a link to a large and very interesting thread, which I chewed through before acquiring my elegance.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=310425&highlight=elegance

Best of luck with yours. My fingers are crossed. They are gorgeous corals indeed, and I don't want to be without mine.

Thanks Wendy, I was told aussie . since I moved it I am cautious to say it appears to be better then yesterday , and deffinatley no worse off then yesterday. The disk looks good its not torn or drawn back and not swollen, the mouth looks ok. I will read the article , it seems like everything I read either says That they come from low light , low flow areas. I hope moving mine to an area in the tank with those conditions will help my elegance. any additional suggestions in placement flow or otherwise are greatly appreciated. I hate to see any animal in distress. How long have you had your elegance ??

Chuck, if I'm not mistaken, it's the Indo Elegance that like dirtier water and less flow. The Aussie ones can tolerate, and do quite well in clean water, under moderate flow. Heck, I don't think there's a place in my tank that gets "low" flow. It's either moderate, high, or very turbulent. :eek: My elegance is placed on the bottom of the tank, far right side, moderate flow, but in no way shaded from light. I've had her since January 26th, and she's grown quite a bit.

I had a panic attack the first time I saw here "close up" on me (at night), but quickly realized she had to have been digesting her food, because the next day she excreted some stuff. I had fed her some cut up silversides a couple of days prior to that. She now "deflates" every once in a while, but always comes back full and fluffy within no more than 48 hours.

Here are some pics of mine:
When first purchased
EleganceCoral1.jpg

A couple of months ago:
AussieEleganceCoral.jpg

Most recent picture, taken several weeks ago:
IMG_3518.jpg

OK im very confused and on the roof now ready to jump. I thought it was ok under light i even asked gary when we bought it i have all the same equipment as they do. and my water parameters look good. I realize that its a fish store and they are pros but I really dont know what to do. it looks as its atleast better then yesterday and i dont want to stress it by moving it again, we got it the day of the april meeting and i have feed it and it usually closes a bit at night and when i feed it but has never looked this unhappy for this long. I havent givin up hope but im know desperate. what do you think? i could leave it in the position its in and just remove the rock that is defusing the light, im at work now but can make the change when i get home. If you could stick with me on this i will forever be in debt to you and you all. thanks chuck p P.S. your elegance looks awesome, like mine did 2 days ago. :'(

Now you've got me equally confused. ???

If it's an Aussie, then it IS ok under good lights - but on the bottom of the tank. How deep is your tank, and what type of lighting do you have? Can you possibly post a picture when you get home from work?

Don't panic either. Remember, Bill's and mine do "shrivel", "close" up occasionally, but fluff right back up ater about 2 days. As long as there's no swelling of the oral disk, and no evident death on pieces of it, don't do anything.

You said you believed it looked somewhat better today than yesterday, so leave it be - don't mess with it, it'll only stress it. :)

Im sorry im in a panic, its a standard 180 gallon tank. 24 deep i have 3x250 metal halides and 2 x 96 watt actinics. i dont have very good camera skills but i will post when i get home asap. i stated yesterday that i had repositioned a rock to give it defused light but its an aussie so i will remove the rock that i put above it to shade it when I get home i guess. sorry for the confusion. thanks again for your help.

Ok like I said not to good with the camera BUT HERE goes...
P1010011e.jpg
P1010011e.jpg
P1010011e.jpg
those should be pics of it new after it acclimated. these should be now :'(
P1010022e.jpg
06/P1010011e.jpg[/IMG]
P1010021e.jpg

Chuck, I can't see all the images. Is it just me? ???

Those that I DO see, I don't see any visible damage. Has it ever extended its tentacles more than that? My elegance tentacles are easily 4-5" long. As said earlier, sometimes mine looks like yours, but never for long.

yes in the earlier days and days prior to it closing up its tenacles were between 3 and four inches i would say. sorry for the pics between me and photobucket, mostly me i su#k. DO you think i should give it full light again?? I can do it without moving it I will just move the rock work ? also When I got home from work I gave it a small piece of silverside and it accepted it and ate it i watched it from start to finish to make sure it did not spit it out or anything , so that i think is a good sign. IM thinking now that maybe I should give it more light but will take your advise if you dont think i should move it .