• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

emerald crab need him out !!

yeah he sucks and he's doing nothing on my bubble algae. I didn't even put him in the tank, he was a hitchhiker.

I just tried the ol' water bottle method as a trap, and It would have worked but he got out when I wasn't looking, he stole a piece of silverside :mad:

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We just waited when we fed the whole tank and they come out eventually, then you reach in and grab the little bugger. We had several emerald crabs in our tanks and decided they were not worth the hassle.

If you don't already have another home for him then I will take him! I have one in my tank now and I have had no problems.

One suggestion for removing him. I notice that I rarely, if ever, see him during the day. If I walk into the room late at night and turn on the room lights he's normally chowing down on my coraline or some other type of junk. I don't know about yours, but mine is slower than anything. I've picked him up a few times to move him towards something I prefer he eat.

Junk: what corals did he eat?

My emerald took out all of my calpera in a day or two, but other than that no problems.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I had a little bugger who took pieces from my frogspawn. I have one sitting in the old time out if you really want another. I have found when you have two they will molt and get big very quickly. If you have a big enough system you should be fine, I have one in time out right now if you want him shoot me a pm.

I have a couple of emerald crabs and I have no problems what so ever. You mentioned the crab caught a ride into your system, are you certain on the I.D.? If so I see no harm in just keeping him. If there are sufficient algae or other means of food he will do no harm to your corals.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had several emeralds in my tank. They didn't do much for the bubble algae and when the regular`algae was gone they ate each other (never bothered any corals).

Bob

D

Deleted member 10862

good luck!!!!!!!! i have a strawberry..and he aint goin anywhere..not only does he only come out at 2am..but once u shine a light..he runs away!!

he's long gone ! had him trapped in a rock and lifted the rock right out ;D

Plus I have concluded he wasn't an emerald

mnat said:
We just waited when we fed the whole tank and they come out eventually, then you reach in and grab the little bugger. We had several emerald crabs in our tanks and decided they were not worth the hassle.

Lol, I wonder if that might actually work. Take a piece of silver side and tie it to a string. Place it in front of the crab and wait for a bite...then slowly pull up. Just like crabbing on the docks