• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Emerald crabs

I have a Reefer 170, approximately a 2’ cube, and I’m starting to have a bit of an issue with bubble algae. Right now I’m removing by hand since my tank is too small for a fish that eats it like a rabbit fish. Anyone with experience using emerald crabs? I’ve seen very mixed reviews.

I threw a number of emerald crabs in there...ignored the bubble complete and went for my euphyillia. I wont use them again.

Not to rub your nose in it..but my rabbit fish has done wonders. Sorry you cant get one.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Get a small/medium rabbit fish then sell it or trade. Maybe the store will give credit back once your done with it.

Rueric

NJRC Member
my nano 10g was infested w bubble algae
threw one emerald crab in there, didnt touch it.
threw a second one in there, they both started eating at it
they ate it all, but its starting to grow back in some of the harder to reach places

Salted

NJRC Member
I have some bubble algae also. Two emeralds in a 75 and I don't think they're doing anything to help. I just keep after it by hand. I've been considering vibrant.
While at reefco on friday I was surprised to see a bunch in their rfa frag tank.

As long as you stick to smaller emeralds they're pretty solid in my experience. The larger male ones are a big risk, though.

Small foxface will eat it but beware they do have a taste for polyps if not fed well. I have one in a 20g cube at the moment that did a fantastic job.

Yeah I’ve considered getting a small fox face and taking back to the store when it gets to big, just haven’t pulled the trigger. Would be easier to pull that out than an emerald crab. You guys think popping them during removal has any impact on the spreading? Any animal that eats it is probably going to pop it.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Yeah I’ve considered getting a small fox face and taking back to the store when it gets to big, just haven’t pulled the trigger. Would be easier to pull that out than an emerald crab. You guys think popping them during removal has any impact on the spreading? Any animal that eats it is probably going to pop it.
I've had that discussion with @Salted - anything that eats bubble algae so it will pop it and then releases the spores- fortunately for me ( or not) mine got so bad I used vibrant

I had the foxface and emerald crabs eat everything while also running a refugium to out compete the bubble algae and it 100% cleared up.

Salted

NJRC Member
You guys think popping them during removal has any impact on the spreading? Any animal that eats it is probably going to pop it.
I did a bunch of reading on it. Supposedly popping the bubbles isn’t a problem. The spores inside aren’t viable until the bubble matures and pops on its own to release them. Never read anything on how big they get to release. Might try my boiling water method on it. Really want it gone but guess I’ll have to sacrifice my cheato if if I end up going the vibrant route. I’d dose half or less of the recommended dose like hockeynut did. I’d rather it take longer and have less risk.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I did a bunch of reading on it. Supposedly popping the bubbles isn’t a problem. The spores inside aren’t viable until the bubble matures and pops on its own to release them. Never read anything on how big they get to release. Might try my boiling water method on it. Really want it gone but guess I’ll have to sacrifice my cheato if if I end up going the vibrant route. I’d dose half or less of the recommended dose like hockeynut did. I’d rather it take longer and have less risk.
If you lose your cheato, I have plenty- you know where i got it too :) :p

You will have more success feeding them bubble algae if you have small females. In my experience with emerald crabs, the males tend to 'go off course according to what you would expect them to do in your system. The females are less aggressive and tend to continue eating algae and not switch to other food sources. Get a male and you'll be in trouble from losing fish to crumbling coral and everything in between.

You will have more success feeding them bubble algae if you have small females. In my experience with emerald crabs, the males tend to 'go off course according to what you would expect them to do in your system. The females are less aggressive and tend to continue eating algae and not switch to other food sources. Get a male and you'll be in trouble from losing fish to crumbling coral and everything in between.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I just ordered some pitho crabs- have a small amount of bubble algae in my 13g- guess I'll see if they have any impact