• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Emporer Angel Jet Lag

Recently added an emporer angel and its been in my tank for 4 days. Nothing has picked on it, but it is staying in the back of the tank and rarely comes out from the rockwork. Fish has not eaten that I've seen and when it does come out it seems to be right before the lights go out. LFS said it was from Bali and I wonder if a fish could have jet lag. Tried feeding frozen Formula One, Formula Two, Prime Reef Flake food, Mysid Shrimp, Omega One Flake, and Nori. I fear how long he can go without eating. Tank has been set up for over 4yrs and everything is good. Any suggestions?

Didn't check. He looked healthy, has a nice belly, and was part of a new shipment. I'll try the cyclopeze but have never found the need to use that product.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can try feeding it Nori, if that doesn't work...Go with it's natural food... Sponge! I would buy a sponge here and there for my Emperor to eat as a treat.

Have you tested your water recently? I would at least check your nitrates and make sure they are at acceptable levels. Angels will not tolerate high nitrates.

HTH

How does he look? I bought a potters angel a month ago and has not eaten anything I have given him yet. He does pick at the rocks all the time. He looks healthy and he is fat. Obviously he is eating something. Not sure if it is what is on the rocks, or the copods, or something.
Ken

He started picking at the live rock and he looks good. Only his behavior is worying me. Nitrates are at 5ppm and all other water parameters are in check. Tried nori, but he didn't come out for it. Saw him pick on one piece of Prime Reef Flake food so I think he is starting to come around.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hopefully he will come around! They are beautiful fish...probably my favorite.

Good Luck!

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Try microwaving fresh broccoli for about 30 seconds (just make sure it stays crunchy as to keep the natural vitamins in it) and put it in the tank securing it with a clip of some sort.It can stay in the tank for up to 2 days with no problems,he may eat when the lights are out.

Try feeding with either dimmed lights, or just actinics. Or, try feeding with all the lights off except for, perhaps, a dim ambient light.

You could also try coaxing him out with a little bit of *dramatic music* live brine shrimp!

Yes, I know, there is little to no nutritional value behind live brine shrimp... or frozen brine for that matter. However, something about having some live prey to hunt and pick off has always seemed to work wonders for a new fish's disposition. Even little neon tetras will get fiesty when presented with live brine!

Don't know if I can feed a fish something I won't eat myself. ;D Sounds like an idea, can I put cheese on it first? He came out and started picking at the glass. My tank is in a corner and I don't Clean the one side. Looking as though his behavior is coming around although he is still a little timid when I'm feeding. I'll try leaving some nori or brocolli on a clip for him.