• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Enlarging existing bulkhead size

Hello all,

My new sump has a 1 1/2" bulkhead for the drain into my sump. The problem i am running into is that i have 2 1" drain lines and i think it will decrees the flow of the drains and build back pressure in the lines by having both 1" lines drain into the 1.5". I would maybe like to increase the size of the hole to accomidate a 2" bulkhead. How can i make an existing hole bigger? I'm guessing using a hole saw and clamping a piece of wood underneath it, but what do i place in the whole so the center drill bits grabs it? Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe i'm being paranoid and the 2 lines draining into the 1.5" drain hole would be fine

thanks
Harry

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Rich T is a mean machine with a Dremel and a glass cutting bit. I am sure it could be done that way by reaming it bigger.

i once made a hole for a 3/4 in bulkhead bigger to fit a 1 1/2 in bulkhead. i did it with a diamond hole saw. it wasnt difficult but the hole does not cut as clean as the first time because it tends to chip a bit. you will have to silicone the bulkheads to make a water tight seal otherwise it will leak from the glass not being perfectly flat.

I think its an acrylic sump he had built. Take a piece of wood and using the hole saw your going to use, cut the same hole in the wood first. This will be your guide on the top. Put a piece of wood on the bottom and clamp-sandwich the acrylic between your wood. Then drill away.

You were right from the get go. I just did this a month ago to my acrylic sump. I cut a piece of plywood just smaller than the side being drilled. Clamp the plywood to the inside do if it turns it will lock itself into place on the side walls. Apply a little pressure and until the bit is cutting into the acrylic then proceed. Piece of cake.