• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Eshopps PSK75H

I was looking into purchasing a HoB protein skimmer. I found I liked the PSK75H, but I also found it has a pvc pipe that sticks straight up from the tank. This is a problem for me because my light is directly above my tank. There is no room for a 7" pipe sticking straight up.
Talking to another friend, this pipe is used to adjust the flow rate, and not an air inlet. He thinks I could trim it so that it fits under my light, or make my own smaller version that doesn't jet straight up.
When I called Eshopps today, they weren't sure if it could be altered because it may control overflow? Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?
If I definitely can't alter this thing, is there any HoB besides the reef octopus 90 that doesn't have parts that stick straight up out of the tank? The octopus 90 is nice, but it's also more skimmer than I am looking for.
Any help is much appreciated!

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What size tank are you putting it on? The pipe is just pvc, it can be cut, i believe i cut mine when i had it on my first tank. Personally i liked my hob reef octopus better.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
personally i'd look into the 100 and 1000 reef octo hob skimmers, lower profile, the 100 has the pump in tank, the 1000 has it outside the tank.

What size tank are you putting it on? The pipe is just pvc, it can be cut, i believe i cut mine when i had it on my first tank. Personally i liked my hob reef octopus better.
Thank you so much for the speedy response!
I have a 55 gallon tank
I have t5 Lights and my wife wanted it to look nice, so they sit right above the tank inside a canopy that I built.

personally i'd look into the 100 and 1000 reef octo hob skimmers, lower profile, the 100 has the pump in tank, the 1000 has it outside the tank.
I like the design of the reef octopus 1000 better, but I believe both the 100 and 1000 have a upward facing pipe on the water inlet that steered me away from them. Also, I would prefer 1000>100 because the pump is hidden behind, but $$ also becomes a factor.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The upward facing pipe i believe you are talking about acts like a skimmer for the top of the water and gets rid of any surface film, i personally loved that feature.

The upward facing pipe i believe you are talking about acts like a skimmer for the top of the water and gets rid of any surface film, i personally loved that feature.
This is the pipe. Is this inside at water level? Does this work on a tank with a rim?

skimoctuppipe.png

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thats a picture of the back of the unit actually, and thats the exit pipe. it's face up inside the skimmer, so the water builds up to that point and then overflows into it. the exit goes straight down into the tank and has a cover on it. the intake is on the left, you can't make it out well in the pic, but the pipe goes straight down into the water, and there is a plastic piece you slide up on it, it can be moved up and down to adjust for the water level, and that is what skims the top of the water. I used it without an ato with no issues. My tank had a rim on it, the standard black rim. Go onto bulk reef supplies website, go to the skimmer and click on 360 view and it should show you everything i'm talking about.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thats a picture of the back of the unit actually, and thats the exit pipe. it's face up inside the skimmer, so the water builds up to that point and then overflows into it. the exit goes straight down into the tank and has a cover on it. the intake is on the left, you can't make it out well in the pic, but the pipe goes straight down into the water, and there is a plastic piece you slide up on it, it can be moved up and down to adjust for the water level, and that is what skims the top of the water. I used it without an ato with no issues. My tank had a rim on it, the standard black rim. Go onto bulk reef supplies website, go to the skimmer and click on 360 view and it should show you everything i'm talking about.

I have that skimmer and agree. Fits nicely over the tank rim with no issues. I think you will find problems with HOB skimmers and lights that sit on top of the tank.