• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Etmanning’s College Reef (Fluval Spec V)

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
As the title says, I couldn’t stay away. I’ll be starting up a second reef tank across the country in AZ. Hopefully I can manage it with the breaks and such. I’m picking the tank up in the beginning of next week and then from there we go!

9f229f029421f76ff23f6a46a74701cd.jpg

(Don’t worry, I’m not paying that much)

Very excited to get back in the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
So The biocube isnt happening...

I actually just bought a mature reef in a fluval spec V today. Got a great deal on the system and had to jump on it. I broke my phone screen last night so I am unable to post Photos but will make sure to as soon as I can. This tank is completely built for a reef with upgraded pump, media basket, light, and micro skimmer. Very cool little reef.

Now I need to figure out what to do with this biocube I have lying around. I definitely can't fit a second tank into my budget/room/schedule. Sell it or keep it and set it up in my apartment next year, probably as a FW tank?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Good luck. I have a 10g empty tank (a guy at my job was ttrashing it) that I wanted to setup in my office. My co-worker thinks its a great idea but my concern is dealing with the maintance of the system. Where would I get the water for water changes, dump the water, taking care of the system when I am away (like winter break we are off for like 1 to 2 weeks) and then the what if the heater starts a fire. All of those issues are keeping me from setting it up

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Finally got a new phone so I can share some pictures of the tank. I've had it for about a week now with no issues! The only plans I have for this tank is to add some corals and eventually move the clownfish to my 90G back home then add a yasha goby+shrimp pair.

Attachments

• fluval spec FTS.jpg
    fluval spec FTS.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Thanks! I actually just did my first one about an hour ago. I'm just going to buy saltwater from a LFS (there are a ton of good ones around!) And do 50% weekly water changes.

Also just picked up a refractometer and 3 new frags, pics to come!
Wow it looks great! How are you planning water changes?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
As promised. Can anyone give me the hobby/designer names for the new frags I just got?

Sidenote, the larger of my two sexy shrimps seems to have molted overnight. Pretty cool!
60ae64bc811556783594451c8c6bfd4b.jpg
c6fd095c81268e84e3dd341d25aacb86.jpg
3f3f8e54b2d493c8e79873bf6bdf84b7.jpg

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Another pic of the new SPS with some different camera settings. Anyone have an idea? IMG_20181129_131843-EFFECTS.jpeg

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Just got back to AZ last night to a seriously in trouble tank. Due to no auto top off, the tank was very low and the return pump was running dry.

I cleaned everything up, did as large a water change as I could, and set it all back up as well as installed the tunze nano ATO that I brought back from home. Hopefully the tank should bounce back quickly and will be looking great again soon.

It seems so empty without the fish or shrimp, however. I'm definitely on the lookout for a yasha goby and am on the waiting list of probably 4 or 5 stores right now.

Before/after images below.

More to come about this tank! Screenshot_20181227-212555~2.jpegScreenshot_20181227-212625~2.jpeg