• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Etmanning’s Frag Tank (40B)

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
As the title states, I will be purchasing another system in Arizona soon. This time, I'm focusing on a 40B or similar size to build a frag system from to have some fun and try to at least break even or make a little money while in school. Will keep this thread updated with lots of pics!

Here's the post for the system on CL. Lots to do! 00s0s_gcGp1TyOoFS_1200x900.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Had a very fun, very long day working on this tank today.

I drove down to Tuscon and met up with the man I was buying the system from at his office where it was located. It was a local CBS branch, which I found pretty interesting.

The teardown went very smoothly, and everything was packed up and I was on my way within two hours.

After getting back to my dorm, I unpacked and began the process of cleaning and setting everything back up. The previous owner was pretty lax on maintenance and there were large buildups on most of the equipment.

IMG_20181229_163238.jpeg

During the rebuild, I went to grab something in the water and nearly passed out due to a shock from something in the water. I traced it back to the heater and went out to buy a new 150W Jager to replace it.

After that I was playing in the tank again and got shocked and found that one of the koralia power heads was also leaking current.

I placed orders for two new jebao ow-25s and a DC-3000 to replace all the pumps in the system. It was running off all old, cheap gear that needed upgrading.

The return line bulkhead was found to be leaky upon setting back up, so I have the tank running with a low water level and just flow and heat for now.

Lots of work left to do but I made a good start so far. I need to work out all of the plumbing and start adding in the new equipment as soon as I get it in, then I can hopefully stock up on corals and start the fragging!

IMG_20181229_220602.jpeg

Also, the previous owner had the light hanging, but as I am in a dorm, I cannot drill holes in the ceiling and had to make do. I have a tank mount on order that should arrive monday, so this is only temporary, but very sketchy lol.

IMG_20181230_023333.jpeg

Also, check out these clams! The larger has to be 5 inches accross! Sorry for the rough photos. Better ones are coming in the future, I promise.

699982a92f152b4283b74b396c6b0720.jpg

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I bought PVC and eggcrate today to start building the frag rack and a couple hundred in goodies have been ordered from BRS.

I'm also picking up a large montipora colony later today that I want to use as a grow out and to start making some frags.

More updates to come!

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
As promised, some pics. Just got the montipora in and the sump connected today. My new power heads arrived, but I can't pick them up until tomorrow.

Right after writing this, I am leaving to go pick up the tank mount for my radion.

IMG_20181231_165156.jpegIMG_20181231_165211.jpegIMG_20181231_165222.jpeg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
neat idea with the lighting but maybe make a light rack out of PVC? This way you don't put anything on the wall and dont need to worry about the lights falling. Also with the PVC you can cut hole and run the wires inside the pipe making a cleaner look.

Very brave doing this in a dorm room. How does your roomate feel about it?

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
neat idea with the lighting but maybe make a light rack out of PVC? This way you don't put anything on the wall and dont need to worry about the lights falling. Also with the PVC you can cut hole and run the wires inside the pipe making a cleaner look.

Very brave doing this in a dorm room. How does your roomate feel about it?
As stated in my last post, I just bought the RMS tank Mount for the light. this is the command strips and fishing line we're just a temporary solution.

I actually lucked out and don't have a roommate, so my dorm can safely be turned into my little fishroom haha.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
As stated in my last post, I just bought the RMS tank Mount for the light. this is the command strips and fishing line we're just a temporary solution.

I actually lucked out and don't have a roommate, so my dorm can safely be turned into my little fishroom haha.

Ha didn't see that. that much better. Thats sweet you got no roommate.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Got the radion properly installed and all of the wires more organized than just hanging out of the front of the stand. I'm waiting on all my BRS and Amazon orders to come in now in order to really get the tank where I want it.

Still not sure how I am going to get rid of the hundreds or even thousands of vermetid snails, aiptasia, bubble algae, and majanos in the tank though. It'll at lease give me something to do.

Sidenote: check out the clams, they're awesome!!

Also a sidenote: setting up this tank has absolutely trashed my room, which is getting quite full with tanks lol IMG_20181231_185010.jpegIMG_20181231_185657.jpegIMG_20181231_185736.jpeg

cd15869ebbc163a0dc3f0ae0b10201c6.jpg

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Just got back from running some errands today and pieced together a durso standpipe. I had to shut the sump off last night because it sounded like I had Niagra falls in my room.

Also just added two pepperimt shrimp and an emerald crab to try and combat some of the pests in this system.

I did grab some lemon juice while I was out, so it's time to start killing things!

3bce3a3e3f641cdd4fcbec2225fc1b78.jpg

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I just added the first rounds of frags to the system. Someone nearby was tearing their tank down and for $20 let me grab whatever was left. I picked up a bunch of little SPS rubble, some decent chunks of montipora, a few zoa colonies, and two little toadstool leathers.

I also took his chromis and serpent star and added them to the system.

IMG_20190101_161046.jpeg

469a7785849c5440af7848bfaf211aac.jpg

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Nice! how do you like the 3000 pump ?
The UPS store at campus has been shut down so I haven't been able to get at it yet.

I have used a dc-10000 on my 90 gallon back in NJ for 2+ years no with zero issues, however.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Just bought these beauties off Facebook today. Reef stuff, especially livestock, is definitely cheaper out here. Only $36 for both of these [emoji44]

I've also been accumulating a bunch of other frags and such since my last post. Still waiting for the UPS store to open up on Monday so I can pick up my stuff... More to come! Screenshot_20190105-230839.jpegScreenshot_20190105-230813.jpeg