• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ever feel like giving up before it's even up and running?

I think pretty much everyone has summed it up so there isn't much more to add. It sounds like you have been to a few meetings, and have seen a few people's setups so hopefully you have some idea's on what might work out in your setup. I know that when I started this hobby, back in about September, I had done just about every possible thing wrong. I bought the wrong tank, wrong pump, wrong substrate, fish, salt, skimmer (I'm still not convinced that these things WORK/worth it (grin)), you name it I probably did it wrong. In my case, my persistence was based on the challenge and not as much as relaxation. As I stopped by club members houses I took their advise, for the most part, and looked at how maliciously they had planned out their setup's while trying to see how I too could streamline my setup.


Unfortunately, I like you still lug 5gal buckets of both fresh and salt water between my 32g brute. I should only be lugging 5gal buckets of salt water from my brute to my tank... but that's only because I don't have time connect the already run 1/4 line in the crawlspace I laid to the ro.


James: I'm guessing that your 1/4 line, feeding your tank, is for top-off water? How many gph are you pushing out of that thing - it just seems like a really small line..
 

JRWOHLER

NJRC Member
I ran the 1/4 line outside to the RO unit outside ...goes through the crawlspace, to the laundry room and either out the dogy door(no dog but we have a door) or stops there and attactes to the RO/DI. Then with another 1/4 I run the waste to the flower bed. For ato I use a aqualifter. Cheap solution. I use airline tubing with a T at the bottom to which I attatched the non lead fishing weights with the frag apoxy putty in the RO bucket. Darn I have pictures just have to post them. I fill both brutes with the same line from the RO unit. Then when I do a water change I unplug the aqualifter and plug in the SW pump and it should automatically pump in the fresh SW.
I use powerhead and heater to condition the SW before hand.
 
Well, I’m getting back. For the last ~2months I’ve had water in the 120 with the live rock and sand with a heater going and 2 vortechs waving away. The break felt good as it allowed me to focus on some other issues. Last night I picked up my custom fuge and a few weeks ago I got my lights from OGII. So in the next day or two I’ll finally hook up the RO/DI and do a water change. Without lights I haven’t had any algae bloom, but I know a water change is definitely required. The 14g nano has chugged along ok. Once the RO/DI gets set up we’ll try to get the rest of crap set up too. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the support.
 

JRWOHLER

NJRC Member
Welcome back...sounds like the mini break was worth it.
Keep us updated, start a tale for us to read.
James
 
Top