• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Everything closed up Advice

ITs been about a week two weeks since my tank has been setup at my new location everything was fine until just the other day. Everything has closed up from the polps, to zooas and the rbta. I tested the water nothing out of the normal also did a huge water change still the same thing. Anyone have any ideas on whats going on the fish seem fine its everything else and i mean everything. All i did different was add a new anemone from a fellow reefer and added so garlic to the fish food. Thats it dont know whats going on. :'(

By any chance can a leather toadstool cause all this i recall it was ripped during the move and just read they release toxic. Can this be it seems like a likely possibility due to everything being affected.

By any chance can a leather toadstool cause all this i recall it was ripped during the move and just read they release toxic
Doubtful, I have fraged large ones and put the frags right back in the tank, no effect, I think that toxin theory is over rated.

Step back and look at the basics.
New lights or fresh bulbs?
New water source?
Different salt mix? Check salinity!
Possible small cycle caused by the move? CHECK AMMONIA LEVELS!
It may have been cold, did the stock get a chill.
Any outside factors changed, Smoking-use of cleaners etc.
GregH

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Greg. I wouldn't rule out toxins.
I thought the theory was over rated too. Until my last break down. For years I was never effected by coral toxins. This time was different. I had creator burn marks all over my hands and arms. Looked like acid burns.

Do you still have that other anemone in the tank.

That RBTA i sold you could be having chem warefar with the other condy anemone.

One is a atlantic species and one is a pacific. I would remove that condy if it still in there.

This time was different. I had creator burn marks all over my hands and arms. Looked like acid burns.
I have that too on my index finger from scraping off zoas from a rock, gloves from now on!
The toadstools do seem harmless in the tank, I have put so many fresh frags in a small tank with no ill affects.
The short cycle I think is a good possibility! After moving the rock and exposing the Coraline on the glass to air, a spike can be expected. And at this point, the cycle could be over and cannot be detected.
One way to test this may be to put a small healthy frag from a different tank into the tank with problems. If it opens and stays happy the original cause may have come and gone. If it reacts the same as the rest if the livestock, not happy, it will confirm that something currently happening is the cause. (Canarie in a coalmine method.)

I just went home to do another water change and to remove the leather and too my surprise it realased a cloud as i removed it dont know what that was but the anemone sure didnt like it. I am pretty sure this was causing the problem so i removed it to see what happens but it might not be good. All the water parameters where fine when tested and nothing has changed as reguard to equipment. If this was the case i understand one or two coral being affected but it everything in my tank not just one leaving me to believe it was the toadstool. Can anyone explain what the cloud relased by the toadstool was. When i looked at him he was cut pretty bad at least half way.

Reefers there no where near each other i have the rbta in one end and the leather in the other end. Until today i removed him due to me ripping him when i moved i dont think it the anemone and if it they lost this battle bacause there all closed up. I am convinced it came from the toadstool due to the fact of that cloud it made as i removed him. Dont know what else to beleive my water is fine. Anyways to detect the toxic or remove if be the case.

Not sure on how to detect them but dropping in some carbon would help too.

If you need any help let me know, i had that anemone for 5 years i wouldnt wanna see anything happen to it.

yea i hear you man ill try i had my anemone for awhile too and it hurts to lose any livestock im going to run some carbon when i get home. It seems like everything is still alive just closed up due to something affecting it hopefully everything works out thanks everyone for the advice. :'(

I agree remove that leather... Its just gonna keep fouling the water...
And continue with the water changes...
Even after all the water changes it will take about a week maybe more till the corals and anemones come back to par.... But they do... They are just protecting themselves from the toxins.. Also even though you did do a quick move the tank is still gonna go through a minor cycling..
If you want to set up a small QT Tank and have the leather try to heal itself go for it but keep it separate from the main tank... But I did see how bad it was injured and I don't think it will make it... But you never know... Maybe frag it and remove the dead tissue so that the heathy tissue can try to heal itself..
Good Luck
TR

Hey whats up i did remove him from the main tank and put him in my small DT instead of a QT. ITs my disapposable trash. Hopefully they come back out i am pretty sure this guy was causing this. Lesson for all keep everyone posted.