• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

evoIX - Shallow Reef

story: was not happy with my prior DT so I upgraded...yet again

Tank info

* 50 Gallon RR RIMLESS with 3 sided Starphire 48 x 18 x 12 by GlassCages
* going with a DIY Tree Lamp style hanger for my TEK 6 BULB light
* stand

info: time cycle
actnics run from 10-10
all lights run from 12-8
other:

* DIY 20gallon sump
o mag 7 return
o skimmer: Vertex IN100
o ReefFanatic ATO w/Toms aqualifter
o BrightWell NeoZeo Method
mighty mite 50gpd RO/DI
Controller/Power
# 2x RKL mainly to control temp and lights
# DJ Power Panel
Circulation:
# Koralia 2 and 3
# little from return

Live stock!
future
# thinking either yellow, purple or powder brown tang
# midas blenny
# pair of picasso clowns
# mandarin

Pics will begin next weekend - pick up the tank on Sunday 28th.

pic:

newsetup.jpg

sorry this is only the initial shot after getting it into the apt. 

**please don't judge me by initial picture**  ;D

i bought a tank that has to wait 3 weeks for it to contain water.....wth.

i don't want to aquascape til i have my plumbing done.

i'm going with black sand - why? cause the depth of the tank is far to easy for maintenance so i won't use a mag float to clean. so i could be extra careful not to pick up sand and scratch. so the awesomeness of black sand it is.

i'm in process of thinking of how i want to aquascape but i don't want to pull my rock out the tub and have any die off so i can wait to fill the tank and leak test before i start the fun times. i want the cycle to be complete as soon as possible so i can start with the good stuff.

any suggestions on how long i should wait to add corals?

i'm thinking as far as corals/livestock: clams, chalices, zoas, montis, ultra scollys, favia, and BRAINS

fish: 
might go with two yellow tangs or one purple tang
mandarin
midas blenny
and a pair of Picasso Clowns

^not in that order of course

down the line hoping to get
a profilux to control dosing regimen
ac jr for web/net control
vortech 2 mp10s

yeah. definitely not staying there.

anyone have the problem with too much flow moving sand? it's starting to annoy me. that's why i liked Bare Bottom but it looks more natural in this type of setup.

I had the same problem with my sand in the beginning. It finally settled and now barely moves. Hopefully the same goes for you. Looking good!

thanks constantine. i should also add you and merv's tank builds are my inspiration plus i copy some of both your ideas! ;D you guys are awesome.

evoIX said:
thanks constantine. i should also add you and merv's tank builds are my inspiration plus i copy some of both your ideas! ;D you guys are awesome.

ears ringing again :D

thanks bud, glad to share ideas....

evoIX said:

Thanks! Just noticed your skimmer is the one I have. Your gonna love that thing. What do you plan on stocking in it as far as coral go?

plans: chalices, zoas, montis, ultra scollys, duncans, acans, misc

LPS/zoas/Clams

i'm going to stay away from sps until atleast 6 months and make sure i get a more stable environment.

you can stop by when i'm actually home. but right now going through an algae bloom. all over the glass and starting to go all over the sand. feeding it rods food, mb7, started my neo zeo method on day 1 of the tank so full on neozeo from the get go.