• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

External pump for 65 gallon system... Tarpon or snapper?

I have a 55 gallon (plus additional water for sump) reef ready tank im getting ready to put in my bedroom and i need everything to be as quiet as possible. i heard that sequence makes the quietest pumps on the market. the snapper produces 1900 gph at 4 ft head at 110 watts for $209.99. the tarpon is 1280 gph at 4 ft head with 144 watts for $309.99. the snapper is flow rated, the tarpon is pressure rated but at 5 ft of head the snapper gives me more flow for less money and less wattage. the tarpon is a lower flow rate, more money and more wattage, but it is more of the flow rate i am looking for. i know it will be a bit over kill but i plan on making both of the holes in the overflow drains. my return will be via a sea swirl or two depending on the flow rate of the pump i decide on. does anyone know if the tarpon is as quite as the snapper. i am leaning towards the snapper. i am open to other pumps as along as they are of high quality and are very quiet. i should also include that after i move i plan on getting a 125 so i could probably use the snapper on that. any advice?

either one of those pump is going to have to be dialed way back for a 55 (unless you have a massive sump that can handle that much flow properly) and in that case is a huge waste of electricity not to mention impractical. You should look for something much smaller. I know the ehiems can be run internal or external and are dead silent, use little power and run verycool.