• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

External Pump

I am trying to decide on an external pump and have no idea how to pick/select correct one for my needs. is there a general rule how to pick the right pump for a system? for example:

300g tank - ..... pump
200g tank - ..... pump
100g tank - ..... pump ??

the system is on the same level so water will not be moved between floors. I want to move the sump to the basement area and trying to put the equipment together for it. also, I am considering to buy a bigger pump in case will get a bigger tank in the future. any help will be appreciated.

There are some "rules" that I have read about, but I am not sure I fully understand the question. At first it sounded like you were saying you were not going to move water between floors. Then you mentioned moving the sump to the basement.

I think more details may help others give good advice based on your needs.

One rule I have heard is a 5X GPH turnover. 100 G tank - 500 GPH

I am sure there are many opinions out there, and the one above is not my opinion,but what I have read.

I think the general consensus is 5X GPH turnover. I want to move sump to the storage area behind where the tank is now and it is on the basement level. so the sump will be on the same level, just 10 feet to left where it is now.

any preference on brands?

Dave said:
There are some "rules" that I have read about, but I am not sure I fully understand the question. At first it sounded like you were saying you were not going to move water between floors. Then you mentioned moving the sump to the basement.

I think more details may help others give good advice based on your needs.

One rule I have heard is a 5X GPH turnover. 100 G tank - 500 GPH

I am sure there are many opinions out there, and the one above is not my opinion,but what I have read.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Depends what time of skimmer and how big the tank is. My skimmer is bigger than my daughter and requires a Dart and my tank has a dart.
PS-SQ-RL250_1.jpg

you are right... I was looking at Adam's tank thread and that's where the question was coming from. since I have decided to make the sump move - the bigger tank will follow eventually. But first I want to design/create the "back office" where all equipment will be located.

the potential new tank will be 60x24x24 or something similar to it - max 225g.

After doing my math with the sump, fudge, frag area, tank - the system will be around 300g max.

Skimmer? not sure. I was looking at Reef Octopus DNWB-200 but open to any suggestions.

Edward771 said:
Depends what time of skimmer and how big the tank is. My skimmer is bigger than my daughter and requires a Dart and my tank has a dart.
PS-SQ-RL250_1.jpg

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I've always been told to keep the skimmer and the return separate cause if one fails you will dead in the water.

Edward771 said:
I've always been told to keep the skimmer and the return separate cause if one fails you will dead in the water.

Not sure i understand. If return pump conks out then it won't help any whether the skimmer runs or not.

I run a reeflo tarpon connected to my MRC skimmer and my return. No issues (knock on wood).

Though I am open to the idea of having two pumps - I just think if I can avoid the cost/extra electricity - then I will.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
In my case if the return pump went bad I could unhook the pump from the skimmer and plug it into the return. I'd just have to take the needle wheel part off. Not that I would do that. I'd probably drive The Hidden Reef and get another one. I do spend more on electric than I should. Either way is fine.

If you're planning on putting powerheads in the display tank or a closed loop you can get away with a smaller circulation pump. Remember the more water you run through your sump the higher the likely hood of getting micro bubbles pumped back into the display.

I ran an Iwaki 55 and then a Panwworld 150 (both 1100 gph) on my 6' 125 through an oceanmotions super squirt. It was plenty of flow for soft corals.

all good points. after giving some though to it I became concerned with the issue that the flow would want to follow the least resistant path so I would probably have to valve back the main outlet in order to force flow to the skimmer -(not enough flow to the skimmer).

so in order to avoid potential problems, I think I will go with 2 seperate pumps (return to DT and the second for the skimmer).

Jcurry@wesketch said:
If you're planning on putting powerheads in the display tank or a closed loop you can get away with a smaller circulation pump. Remember the more water you run through your sump the higher the likely hood of getting micro bubbles pumped back into the display.

I ran an Iwaki 55 and then a Panwworld 150 (both 1100 gph) on my 6' 125 through an oceanmotions super squirt. It was plenty of flow for soft corals.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you have 1 overflow it can handle 600gph and if you have 2 overflows it can handle 1200gph. So a dual overflow system with head pressure from Ts, Elbows, rise and run taken into consideration you'd want a 1500-1800gph pump.

The amount of "turnover" in your tank is rarely just your return pump and is frequently driven via powerheads within the tank.

thanks Phyl - that's what I was thinking too. If I add a frag tank with one overflow - anything close to 3000gph should be more than enough. even if it is too much - I would rather tee it off back to sump than worry that it is not enough.

Phyl said:
If you have 1 overflow it can handle 600gph and if you have 2 overflows it can handle 1200gph. So a dual overflow system with head pressure from Ts, Elbows, rise and run taken into consideration you'd want a 1500-1800gph pump.

The amount of "turnover" in your tank is rarely just your return pump and is frequently driven via powerheads within the tank.

Edward771 said:
In my case if the return pump went bad I could unhook the pump from the skimmer and plug it into the return. I'd just have to take the needle wheel part off. Not that I would do that. I'd probably drive The Hidden Reef and get another one. I do spend more on electric than I should. Either way is fine.

Ah that does make sense. I've been thinking of buying another tarpon in the PA group buy to sit around as a backup - but weighing the costs of spending money on a pump I won't use - vs just ordering a new pump if/when the existing return pump goes out.