• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Eye Problems

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Came home from MACNA today and found this on my lyretail anthias. Now he is hanging out in a corner of the tank not swimming which is very unusual for him. Any suggestions?image.jpgimage.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Looks like pop eye to me. Usually a bacterial infection behind the eye. If you can remove the fish and set up a hospital tank it would be best. In the hospital tank treat with an antibiotic such as furan-2. There's some others methods as well, if you google pop eye marine fish, you should find a bunch of remedies. Choose which will be the best in your situation. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it looks like pop eye to me too. When I had a 75 gallon tank my flag fin angelfish got it and I used epson salt for a few days and it cleared it up pretty fast.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Check to see if you see flukes on the eye. That causes pop eye. If you do, you can give fish a fresh water dip which will kill flukes and eye can heal itself.
Flukes are clear so hard to see.

Karen, no I didn't remove him. As far as I can remember though all coral and inverts responded well with it, but I don't know how fair of a statement that is because I do remember I was having nitrate issues then so everything was not doing 100% in the first place. I think it took about a week for him to recover after daily dosings to the tank. I forget how much I used each time though.