• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

F/S 4" Hippo Tang

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
First, the white specks are on the fish trap - it's not ick. Healthy active fish that eats like a champ. Have had him for several years and has become aggressive towards newer tankmates. $75 with pickup in Holmdel - I work from home Tuesdays and Fridays and thx for looking.Hippo 3.jpgHippo 1.jpg

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Hmmm... So tempting. The last Hippo I put in my Tomini and Scopas attacked, and he was killed overnight. But, it was only 2 inches. Would this guy be big enough to deal with them?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Hmmm... So tempting. The last Hippo I put in my Tomini and Scopas attacked, and he was killed overnight. But, it was only 2 inches. Would this guy be big enough to deal with them?
I just went thru this with a Blond Naso few months ago. My YT, Wrasse and Dwarf Angels beat the crap out of it. It was probably 3 inches but couldn't keep away from them all and eventually died.
I saw a very nice looking Chocolate tang, been wanting one for a while, price was great and picked it up. Its probably 3.5 inched; well they did it again chasing him all over. I broke out the vanity mirror and taped to he front glass for a week and a half.
Took it down yesterday and all are friends now. I should have done this with the Naso. You may need to mirrors as your tank is longer than 4 foot, right.

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Erna,

He was in with my yellow tang and he held his own even though my YT murdered plenty of his tank mates. He's pretty big.

Eric

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I just went thru this with a Blond Naso few months ago. My YT, Wrasse and Dwarf Angels beat the crap out of it. It was probably 3 inches but couldn't keep away from them all and eventually died.
I saw a very nice looking Chocolate tang, been wanting one for a while, price was great and picked it up. Its probably 3.5 inched; well they did it again chasing him all over. I broke out the vanity mirror and taped to he front glass for a week and a half.
Took it down yesterday and all are friends now. I should have done this with the Naso. You may need to mirrors as your tank is longer than 4 foot, right.
Ok, tell me about this mirror trick. 5 foot tank.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
She did - pending.

I tape two small vanity mirrors on each side of the tank on front glass.
The fish see their reflection and try to chase it away. This gives the new fish time to settle in and prevents constant harassment. The mirrors are about 4 inch square from the dollar store.Leave them for a week then take one off. If all looks good wait a few days and take other off. If the fish is harassed after first mirrors is down put it back. Repeat after a few days.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Funny story....I had a yellow tang picking on my long nose yellow butterfly. So I hung a mirror hoping for the tang to think there was another tang in the tank. But what happened is the butterfly found the mirror and thought another butterfly was in the tank....and would go into defensive dorsal fins extended pose.

1687873099725.png

And I have no problem finding a mirror in that my wife collects them. I only need to take her wrath for pulling one off the wall.

Mirror Mirror.jpg

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Paul, it is funny. Even the new Chocolate tang I put in saw its reflection and went crazy at itself.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Hippo seems to be doing well. The mirrors are up and no one has even taken a look at them yet. We have our 4 year old and 2 year old grandchildren spending a few days with us. Here's hoping they don't take the mirrors down. They were extremely excited to see Dory. :D

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Hippo seems to be doing well. The mirrors are up and no one has even taken a look at them yet. We have our 4 year old and 2 year old grandchildren spending a few days with us. Here's hoping they don't take the mirrors down. They were extremely excited to see Dory. :D
Glad to hear that Erna. It was the fish I had longest - I'm happy he went to a good home.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I am shocked and amazed at the mirror trick. Wish I knew it years ago. The tangs, clowns and even the swallowtail angel are all getting in the act. They show off and puff up for the reflection but are leaving each other totally alone.

IMG_0312.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    804.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0314.jpeg
    IMG_0314.jpeg
    805.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0306.jpeg
    IMG_0306.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0303.jpeg