• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

feather duster splitting it's tube

split.jpg

Our feather duster seems to be slowly splitting it's tube. Is this a concern?

they are tough to keep without a bit of supplemental feeding.

I know the shedding of the crown is not a good sign. I imagine if it pops out of the tube to also be a bad sign - but I have zero experience with feather dusters. Good luck.

reeferwanabe said:
they seem to like being buried in the sand

I know which is what to me is really strange. When I brough it home about a month ago it started to bury itself just like the one I have on the other side. In the last few weeks it turned itself around and climbed up the glass. The one on the other side continues to stay where it is which is buried in the sand. I've found 2-3 small ones now in the last few days but not sure if these have reproduced or if they were hitchhikers on something else.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The sign your feather duster is a goner is when it leaves its tube. Loosing the crown can be caused by stress, but 9 times out of 10 it will just grow it back. My one feather duster is on its 4th crown. I would just watch the tube, if he leaves then you should be concerned.

it actually looks as though he is attaching to the glass. he is using the glass as one side of his tube, therefore he only needs to make one side. mine actually has done this, has lost its crow 2 times, and came out of its tube and rebuilt another one. ive had mine for 4 years.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've had my feather duster for 2 years now, too, and I've never spot-fed him anything. In fact, I've accidentally ripped him in half not too long ago - petrified that I surely must have killed him, but within 2 days a very ragged crown popped out, and by now he has completely regenerated his appearance.

I do keep mine in the sandbed, not upright.

Thanks all. Yeah, after looking at him a little while ago he is definitely attached to the glass instead of a rock.

Odd thing is I put him on the sand bed and covered him up. He migrated to this position all by himself and seems to be doing well. The one I have on the other side is buried in the sand and is doing well also.