• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Feeding a Blenny

I bought a blenny the other day (said so in tale of the tank thread noone posted though :)) and he has just started to trust me and come out of his hole while I am around. I was wondering how he should be fed the right way. I have seen him picking away at the live rock, but when I fed mysis shrimp today one drifted right into his face and he did not eat it. Is there something else i can do, or is it just time until he is ready to eat. I also have brine shrimp and bloodworms as well as some hikari saltwater dry food. I heard it suggested to feed the sushi seaweed stuff (not sure spelling :)). If I should use that how should i do it? Finaly should he be fed by a turkey baster for target feeding, or will he go after what comes his way?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
What kind of blenny? I have a Lawnmower blenny and he just grazes and sometimes eats forzen brine with spirulina. I also have a yellow tail blenny and it eats anything I throw in the tank.

Mark

Tropiquarium had it labeled as a sailfin blenny. I dont realy know for sure, it doesnt look like a picture of a sailfin blenny I saw online. I can take a picture tomorrow if it makes a big difernce for ID and feeding

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Your best bet is to google sailfin blenny and match yours. get the scientific name and search the net.

Mark

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Formula 2, natural algae. They like to graze off of the rocks, so a bit of growth on the rocks would be a plus (for him)!

I am afraid that there is not much you could about this. Some herbivores that eat macroalge could be easily fed with dry seaweed (nori - the sushi seaweed) and such, but this one is a bit tougher. They scrape the smaller algae, so normally, the ordinary algae growth in the tanks should be sufficient for these guys, but there are also some kind of dry algae wafers (yes Hikari) that you might try: http://www.fish.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=710065 001
They could scrape them and graze them.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
That is what my lawnmower blenny looks like. It just grazes on the rocks eating algae. You can try and put some macro in the tank for it to feed on.

Most blennies that are herbivores tend to eat the algae in your tank. However, what to do when they run out. These fish eat like machines and crap like one too. In any case I strongly suggest that you get some

http://americanaquariumproducts.com/Spirulina20Food.html

This is blue green algae which is a delicacy for blennies. It is often called spirulina and IS found in many pellet type foods. However, it is usually at the end of the ingredients list right before garlic. Get him this and he will love you. I would also try to spot feed him with pellets from a syringe. These fish have trouble eating hard pellets. They have to leave them in their mouth for a little while, while they soften up and will spit it out as it softens and catch it again. So if you do get pellets search the container for the smallest pellets you can find. I use New Life Spectrum Marine Fish Formula for my Green Banded Goby and my Tail Spot Blenny. The GBG eats them whole. The tail spot tends to do the above. One pellet on Sunday, Cyclopeze for the tank on Wednesday and one pellet on Friday the night before the water change. That is all I give them.

I just found this and it looks really nice cause the main ingredient is spirulina and it stays soft for the tail spot blenny it is called - Super Soft Spirulina HBH Fish Food Small Pellets 1/2LB

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Soft-Spir...2378962QQihZ016QQcategoryZ20759QQcmdZViewItem

I think I am going to give it a go. I am also going to post a link to his store since the one above will run out

http://stores.ebay.com/Your-Fish-Stuff

That should last at least a year. lol