• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Feeding

Hey guys so my 24 gallon nano looks great, and I havent had any problems with nuisance algae or nitrates etc, but I as wondering how often does everyone feed thier fish and how much generally? I have a pair of small perc clowns, 6 linewraase, bi color blenny fire shrimp and camel shrimp along with a bunch of snails and lots of mini brittle stars. Tank is loaded with xenia, frogspawn and hammers along with about half dozen zoo frags. I feed marine flakes around 7 each night a small pinch. Too much? Too little?

Thanks

Currently I'm feeding a pinch of New life spectrum pellets every day around 4:15 & feeding the tank w/ various things every 2 days (phyto, zooplex, oysterfeast, marinesnow, etc, I mix it up), so far so good but I'm a noob so take w/ a grain of salt. Params seem fine though, my corals love eating the pellets to & anything that hits the sand the hermits and bristleworms take care of immediately. Fish wise I have a maroon clown, 6 line wrasse & clown goby.

I feed a many types of frozen. Brine with spir, plankton, mysis, rods. I feed a little bit twice a day around 5 and 9 30. I find this to work good in a reef cause your feeding your corals twice a day this way too. Keeps your fish fed and at bay too

Yea no problem, I am still selling a small zoa frag, a nice hammer branch with like 10-15 heads and 3 other ricordea too. Please post pics ide love to see how everything is doing.

i feed super soft pellets every day for my starry blenny and goby. then MAYBE once a week il mix up some cyclops and brine with spirulina for my coral, clowns and shrimp

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Nanos are tough to feed due to the low water volume and increase in nitrates if you overfeed. We feed daily, rotate between Rods reef and PE mysis. We do weekly water changes of 10% to keep the water quality good. Fish feed everyday all day in the wild, so I have no problem feeding them every day. They are more likely to stay healthy and stress free that way. Fish can become aggressive if you do not feed them enough as they will attack each other when food is available. Feeding is one of those things that is more of an art than a science, everybody has their own method and just find something that is suitable for you.

id have to agree with mnat. its what works for you. try it a few different ways and keep testing your levels to see what kind of spikes you get from what.. also let your fish tell you with their behavior when they are hungry