• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Filter Sock microbubbles

Does anyone use a filter sock to catch microbubbles from their overflows? i have a slight microbubble problem from my overflow drains i was thinking of putting a 100 micron filter sock around them to try and eliminate this problem. one question i have though is won't this defeat the purpose of the skimmer? or will this actually help the skimmer out by removing large stuff and allowing the skimmer to do the job on the rest?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I put Live Rock and Macro in my sump to help with microbubbles.. It worked well

HTH

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you use filter socks you're going to have to change them often to prevent nitrate build up.

yeah i see that....i'm not liking that....what other way can i reduce the bubbles from the overflows? i tried putting rocks under the overflow tubes but the microbubbles just rush right by it. i have a bag of carbon under it now but that doesn't seem to be helping either...

any ideas?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you can create a chamber around the in feed that has to go up and over/under/over baffles for the water to get out the bubbles. Another recommendation that I've gotten is to take a large piece of PVC pipe and let the water from the overflow flow into that and have to go up over the edge of it (dispersing the bubbles) before it is able to return water back to the main system.

When we had micro bubbles getting back into the system it was from a hairline leak we had in the PVC feeding the pump.

can the overflow drain into a bucket of live rock in the sump? holes in the bottom of the bucket to let the water out.

C

concept3

filter floss.

ask for it at the LFS, they come in small, medium and HUGE bags, or you can try a filter sponge too, that worked for me until I placed more baffles in the sump.